Bats Come To Life As TCU Rolls to Victory
Feb. 17, 2018
PHOENIX – The third-ranked TCU Horned Frogs scored multiple runs in three innings and led wire-to-wire in a 14-6 victory over Grand Canyon on Saturday afternoon. Josh Watson was the offensive star of the afternoon with a double, a home run, three walks and three RBIs.
TCU opened the scoring with a three spot in the first and never looked back. A.J. Balta’s two-out single drove in Zach Humphreys with the first run of the game. Michael Landestoy followed with a two-run single. Adam Oviedo pushed the lead to four in the third. Three Frogs drew walks and the freshman delivered an RBI single with two outs.
TCU broke the game open in the fourth with a five spot. Conner Wanhanen tripled home Coby Boulware and scored on a Humphreys base knock. Josh Watson followed with his first home run of the season, a two-run shot to make it an 8-0 game. Oviedo picked up his second RBI with a two-out double to push the lead to nine.
Grand Canyon scored a trio of runs in the fifth and one in the sixth to pull within five, 9-4, but Trey Morris came on in relief in the sixth to limit the damage.
TCU restored its nine-run, 13-4, lead with a four spot in the seventh. Conner Shepherd worked a lead-off walk and moved to third on a Boulware double. Wanhanen drove in his second run of the game with a base hit. Two wild pitches gifted TCU another run and Watson just missed his second home run with a double to straight away center. Balta capped the scoring with an RBI-double.
The Frogs tacked on their final run of the game on a Humphreys two-out single in the eighth. Grand Canyon picked up two in the bottom of the inning to account for the final score.
Nick Lodolo (1-0) started for TCU and picked up the win. He allowed four runs (three earned) on six hits, walked one and struck out four. Morris turned in 1 2/3 scoreless innings, while Caleb Sloan and Augie Mihlbauer pitched an inning each to close out the game.
Stat of the Game
6 – TCU’s first four runs of the game were scored with two outs. The Frogs totaled six two-out runs in the contest.
• TCU has scored multiple runs in an inning four times this season.
• TCU hit double digits in runs scored and hits for the first time this season.
• Colton Parrish made his TCU debut in the seventh inning.
• Tristan Hanoian and Caleb Sloan made their collegiate debuts in the eighth inning.
• Danny Crews and Augie Mihlbauer made their TCU debuts in the ninth inning.
• A. J. Balta registered his first career hit and RBI in the first inning.
• Michael Landestoy collected his sixth career multi-RBI game.
• Josh Watson hit his first home run of the season and the 13th of his career.
• Watson collected his second multi-RBI game of the season and the 25th of his career.
• Connor Wanhanen has reached base safely in eight straight games dating back to 2017.
• Adam Oviedo collected his first career multi-hit and multi-RBI game.
• Coby Boulware registered his first career multi-hit game.
• Connor Wanhanen notched his 34th career multi-hit game and his 24th career multi-RBI contest.
• A.J. Balta tallied 28th career multi-hit game and his 25th career multi-RBI contest.
• Zach Humphreys tallied his eighth career multi-hit game and his ninth career multi-RBI contest.
With the victory, TCU improves to 2-0 overall. The Horned Frogs will go for the series sweep on Sunday afternoon at 2 (CT). Sean Wymer will get the start for the Frogs.
FOLLOW THE FROGS
M Basketball @TCUBasketball
W Basketball @TCUWbasketball
M Golf @TCUMensGolf
W Golf @TCUWomensGolf
Swimming & Diving @TCUswimdive
M Tennis @TCUMensTennis
W Tennis @TCUWomensTennis
Track & Field @TCUTrackField
Beach Volleyball @TCUBeachVB