TCU Drops Game 1 To LBSU
Feb. 24, 2018
FORT WORTH – TCU dropped the first game of a doubleheader 3-2 to Long Beach State Saturday afternoon. Michael Landestoy led the offense with three hits in the game.
TCU jumped out to an early lead with a first inning run. Connor Wanhanen singled and moved to second on a walk to Luken Baker. Josh Watson doubled to put the Frogs in front.
Long Beach State responded with runs in back-to-back innings to take a 2-1 lead. Luke Rasmussen homered to lead off the second. In the third, a lead-off double from Garrett Nelson turned into a run as the Dirtbags took the lead.
A miscue by the Dirtbags in the fifth inning helped the Frogs tie the game at two. Adam Oviedo worked a one-out walk. Long Beach State looked poised to turn a double play, but the throw to second sailed wide and Oviedo was able to score from first on the play.
Two innings later Long Beach State regained the lead. A hit batter to open the inning turned into the go-ahead run. Three batters later the bases were loaded with only one out. Leonard Jones drew a four-pitch walk to drive in the go-ahead run. Cal Coughlin came on in relief to retire the final two batters of the inning without any further damage.
Jared Janczak (0-1) took the loss after allowing three runs on five hits. He walked two and struck out three.
Stat of the Game
3 – TCU hit into three double plays in the game.
• TCU was outhit for the first time this season.
• TCU played errorless baseball for the first time this season.
• Connor Wanhanen has reached base safely in 10 straight games dating back to 2017.
• Luken Baker has reached base safely in 32 straight games dating back to last season.
• Josh Watson has hit safely in all four games this season.
• Watson picked up his second multi-hit game of the season and the 33rd of his career.
• Michael Landestoy collected his eighth career multi-hit game.
With the loss, TCU drops to 2-2 on the season.
FOLLOW THE FROGS
M Basketball @TCUBasketball
W Basketball @TCUWbasketball
M Golf @TCUMensGolf
W Golf @TCUWomensGolf
Swimming & Diving @TCUswimdive
M Tennis @TCUMensTennis
W Tennis @TCUWomensTennis
Track & Field @TCUTrackField
Beach Volleyball @TCUBeachVB