TCU Bounces Back In Game 2; Wins 8-3
Feb. 24, 2018
FORT WORTH – No. 3 TCU used a trio of big innings to help it to an 8-3 victory in Game 2 of the doubleheader on Saturday. Four Horned Frogs registered multi-hit games and Michael Landestoy tallied three RBIs in the victory.
TCU took advantage of four walks in the first inning to open up a 2-0 lead. Connor Wanhanen doubled with one out to start the parade of base runners. With the bases loaded two batters later, Wanhanen scampered home on a passed ball. Landestoy drew a bases-loaded walk to drive in the second run of the frame.
A lead-off single from Tristan Hanoian in the second inning turned into another run as he scored on a two-out single from Luken Baker to make it a 3-0 ballgame.
Long Beach State took advantage of a pair of defensive miscues to tie the game at three in the third. Shaq Robinson doubled home the first run of the inning and scored on a throwing error a batter later to make it a 3-2 game. A wild pitch on a strikeout allowed the tying run to score with two outs.
TCU broke the tie in the fifth with two runs. Josh Watson doubled and A.J. Balta reached on an error to put two on with nobody out. Landestoy’s first hit of the afternoon gave TCU a 4-3 lead. A pinch-hit single from Zach Humphreys pushed the lead to 5-3.
Three more runs crossed the plate for the Frogs in the ninth. With one out, Coby Boulware singled to start a string of five straight batters to reach. Boulware scroed on a Baker base hit. Balta picked up a hard-earned RBI as he was hit by the pitch with the bases loaded to push the lead to four, 7-3. A sacrifice fly from Landestoy capped the game scoring.
Nick Lodolo picked up the win after allowing three runs (one earned) on three hits in six innings of work. He fanned six and didn’t walk a batter.
Stat of the Game
1 – The bullpen combination of Trey Morris and James Notary allowed just one base runner in their three combined innings of work. Morris retired all three batters he faced, while Notary retired six of the seven batters he saw.
• TCU has scored multiple runs in an inning seven times this season.
• TCU tallied double-digit hits for the second time this season.
• The TCU pitching staff registered double-digit strikeouts for the third time this season.
• Tristan Hanoian and Colton Parrish made their first career starts.
• James Notary made his collegiate debut on the mound in the eighth inning.
• Notary collected his first career save.
• Hanoian registered his first career hit in the second inning.
• Connor Wanhanen has reached base safely in 11 straight games dating back to 2017.
• Wanhanen tallied his second multi-hit game of the season and the 35th of his career.
• Luken Baker has reached base safely in 33 straight games dating back to last season.
• Baker registered his second multi-hit game of the season and the 41st of his career.
• Baker collected his first multi-RBI game of the season and the 30th of his career.
• Josh Watson has reached base safely in nine straight games.
• Watson and Adam Oviedo have hit safely in all five games this season.
• Watson picked up his third multi-hit game of the season and the 34th of his career.
• Coby Boulware tallied his second career multi-hit game.
• Michael Landestoy recorded his second multi-RBI game of the season and the seventh of his career.
TCU improves to 3-2 on the season with the victory in Game 2. The Horned Frogs will go for the series win on Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m. The game is slated to be televised on FSSW. Sean Wymer will get the start for the Horned Frogs.
FOLLOW THE FROGS
M Basketball @TCUBasketball
W Basketball @TCUWbasketball
M Golf @TCUMensGolf
W Golf @TCUWomensGolf
Swimming & Diving @TCUswimdive
M Tennis @TCUMensTennis
W Tennis @TCUWomensTennis
Track & Field @TCUTrackField
Beach Volleyball @TCUBeachVB