TCU Takes Series With 5-2 Win Sunday
Feb. 25, 2018
FORT WORTH – Five scoreless innings from the bullpen and five two-out runs helped No. 3 TCU clinch the series victory with a 5-2 win over Long Beach State on Sunday afternoon at Lupton Stadium. Coby Boulware, Adam Oviedo and Luken Baker each tallied two hits in the game.
Coby Boulware reached on an error to lead off the Frogs half of the first, a miscue that would come back to haunt the Dirtbags. With two on and two out, Zach Humphreys came through with a two-run triple to right for a 2-0 TCU lead.
Long Beach State used a two-out rally in the fourth to tie the game. With one on and two out, Domenic Colacchio singled to put the tying runs on base. After a stolen base, Santino Rivera delivered the game-tying hit.
TCU answered back in the bottom of the inning to regain its two-run cushion, 4-2. A.J. Balta singled with one out and moved to second when Conner Shepherd was hit by the pitch. Adam Oviedo broke the tie with a base hit to center. Boulware followed by a base hit to extend the lead. The Frogs tacked on another two-out run in the sixth on a bases-loaded wild pitch.
Sean Wymer started for the Frogs and allowed two runs on four hits in four innings of work. Haylen Green (1-0) picked up the win in relief with 1 2/3 scoreless frames. Cal Coughlin worked 1 1/3 scoreless to get the Frogs into the eighth. Jake Eissler pitched around a single in the eighth. Durbin Feltman recorded his second save of the season to close out the game.
Stat of the Game
10 2/3 – The bullpen tossed 10 2/3 scoreless innings in the three-game series, including five innings in Sunday’s victory. The group of six allowed just seven hits, walked four and struck out 10 while limiting the Dirtbags to a .189 average.
• TCU has scored multiple runs in an inning nine times this season.
• TCU tallied double-digit hits for the third time this season.
• TCU played errorless baseball for the second time this season.
• TCU scored a first-inning run for the fourth time this season.
• TCU outhit its opponent for the third time this season.
• Luken Baker has reached base safely in 34 straight games dating back to last season.
• Baker registered his third multi-hit game of the season and the 42nd of his career.
• Zach Humphreys picked up his second multi-RBI game of the season and the 10th of his career.
• Josh Watson and Adam Oviedo have hit safely in all six games this season.
• Watson has reached base safely in 10 straight games.
• Oviedo notched his second career multi-hit game.
• Michael Landestoy stretched his hitting streak to five games.
• Coby Boulware tallied his third career multi-hit game.
• Connor Wanhanen has reached base safely in 12 straight games dating back to 2017.
• Durbin Feltman picked up his second save of the season and the 28th of his career.
With the victory, TCU improves to 4-2 on the season. The Frogs will make a quick trip to Arlington on Tuesday for its first midweek contest of the season at UT Arlington. First pitch is set for 6:30 p.m. at Clay Gould Ballpark.
FOLLOW THE FROGS
M Basketball @TCUBasketball
W Basketball @TCUWbasketball
M Golf @TCUMensGolf
W Golf @TCUWomensGolf
Swimming & Diving @TCUswimdive
M Tennis @TCUMensTennis
W Tennis @TCUWomensTennis
Track & Field @TCUTrackField
Beach Volleyball @TCUBeachVB