TCU Stretches Win Streak To Three
March 1, 2018
FORT WORTH – A quartet of multi-run innings helped No. 3 TCU stretch its win streak to three games as the Horned Frogs defeated UT Arlington 14-1 Thursday night at Lupton Stadium. Luken Baker and Josh Watson homered for the Frogs.
UT Arlington opened the scoring on a solo home run off the bat of Noah Vaughan with one out in the first. From there, the combination of Caleb Sloan, Austin Boyles, Augie Mihlbauer and Charles King slammed the door. The four combined to pitch six scoreless innings allowing just two hits, walking four and striking out eight.
TCU wasted little time taking control of the game. With two outs in the first, Luken Baker and Josh Watson cracked back-to-back home runs to give the Frogs a 2-1 lead.
A two-out bases-loaded wild pitch and a walk to Michael Landestoy pushed the lead to three, 4-1, after three innings of play.
The Frogs broke the game open in the fifth with seven runs. Baker opened the inning with a double. Two batters later the bases were loaded. A.J. Balta and Landestoy worked walks to drive in two runs. Adam Oviedo lined a two-run single up the middle for an 8-1 lead. Coby Boulware followed with a two-run double and scored on a ground out off the bat of Baker.
Three more runs came around in the sixth. Landestoy collected his third RBI of the night with a base hti and Conner Shepherd drove in a run with a bases-loaded single to right. Oviedo’s double drove in Landestoy with the final run of the night.
Stat of the Game
4 – Four Horned Frogs (Coby Boulware, Luken Baker, Michael Landestoy and Adam Oviedo) notched multi-RBI games in the victory
• TCU scored a first-inning run for the fifth time this season.
• TCU has scored multiple runs in an inning 13 times this season.
• TCU tallied double-digit hits for the fourth time this season.
• TCU played errorless baseball for the third time this season.
• TCU outhit its opponent for the fourth time this season.
• Russell Smith made his collegiate debut on the mound.
• Luken Baker has reached base safely in 35 straight games dating back to last season.
• Baker hit his second home run of the season and the 21st of his career.
• Baker notched his fourth multi-hit game of the season and the 43rd of his career.
• Baker picked up his second multi-RBI game of the season and the 31st of his career.
• Josh Watson hit his second home run of the season and the 13th of his career.
• Watson has reached base safely in 11 straight games.
• Watson collected his fourth multi-hit game of the season and the 35th of his career.
• Watson and Adam Oviedo have hit safely in all seven games this season.
• Oviedo notched his second career multi-RBI game.
• Connor Wanhanen has reached base safely in 13 straight games dating back to 2017.
• A.J. Balta has reached base safely in six straight.
• Michael Landestoy collected his third multi-RBI game of the season and the eighth of his career.
• Landestoy stretched his hitting streak to six games.
• Coby Boulware collected his first career multi-RBI game.
TCU improves to 5-2 on the season. The Horned Frogs will open up a three-game series against UC Irvine Friday night at 6:30 p.m. at Lupton Stadium.
FOLLOW THE FROGS
M Basketball @TCUBasketball
W Basketball @TCUWbasketball
M Golf @TCUMensGolf
W Golf @TCUWomensGolf
Swimming & Diving @TCUswimdive
M Tennis @TCUMensTennis
W Tennis @TCUWomensTennis
Track & Field @TCUTrackField
Beach Volleyball @TCUBeachVB