TCU’s Win Streak Halted
March 4, 2018
FORT WORTH – UC Irvine avoided the series sweep with a 15-2 victory over No. 3 TCU on Sunday afternoon at Lupton Stadium. Josh Watson and Connor Wanhanen each tallied a pair of hits in the loss.
UC Irvine opened the scoring in the second inning as it took advantage of a lead-off double. A ground out from Parker Coss gave the Anteaters the early 1-0 lead.
A costly error in the fourth along with a trio of walks helped the Anteaters score seven times as they opened up an 8-0 lead. The big blow was a two-out error that led to two runs followed by a two-run single from Ryan Fitzpatrick.
Six more runs crossed the plate in the sixth as the UC Irvine lead grew to 14-0. Cole Kreuter’s one-out grand slam was the big hit in the frame. The Anteaters final run of the game came on a two-out single from Coss to account for their 15 runs.
TCU had base runners in six of the nine innings, but only had multiple base runners in two of the innings. The Frogs avoided the shutout with a pair of runs in the ninth. Coby Boulware worked a pinch-hit walk and scored easily from first on a double from Watson. Following a wild pitch, A.J. Balta hit a sacrifice fly to make it a 15-2 contest.
Stat of the Game
5 – UC Irvine scored five unearned runs in the loss.
• TCU was outhit by an opponent for the first time this season.
• The TCU bullpen’s scoreless streak was snapped at 22 1/3 innings.
• The 15 runs were the most allowed since surrendering 21 at Texas Tech on April 30, 2017.
• Josh Watson has reached base safely in 14 straight games.
• Watson has hit safely in all 10 games this season.
• Watson collected his sixth multi-hit game of the season and the 37th of his career.
• A.J. Balta has reached base safely in nine straight.
• Connor Wanhanen registered his fourth multi-hit game of the season and the 37th of his career.
• Luken Baker saw his reached base safely streak end at 37 games.
With the loss, TCU drops to 7-3 on the season. The Horned Frogs will conclude an eight-game homestand Tuesday night when they play host to UT Rio Grande Valley. Game time is slated for 6:30 p.m.
FOLLOW THE FROGS
M Basketball @TCUBasketball
W Basketball @TCUWbasketball
M Golf @TCUMensGolf
W Golf @TCUWomensGolf
Swimming & Diving @TCUswimdive
M Tennis @TCUMensTennis
W Tennis @TCUWomensTennis
Track & Field @TCUTrackField
Beach Volleyball @TCUBeachVB