TCU Powers Past UTRGV
March 6, 2018
FORT WORTH – A pair of home runs from Josh Watson highlighted a 7-2 TCU victory over UTRGV on Tuesday night at Lupton Stadium. The victory was the 700th career win for head coach Jim Schlossnagle.
With two on and one out in the first, Josh Watson stepped to the plate and delivered at three-run home run to center to give the Horned Frogs a lead they would never relinquish.
TCU added to its lead in the second inning on the first of two doubles from Connor Wanhanen. Coby Boulware walked with one out and raced around the bases on the Wanhanen extra base hit for a 4-0 lead after two.
Another double from Wanhanen in the fourth set the table for a two-run blast from Luken Baker. Batting from the left side of the plate, Watson grabbed back the team home run lead with his second of the game and fourth of the season.
The Vaqueros picked up solo runs in the fourth and fifth innings to keep the game close. A one-out ground out in the fourth allowed a lead-off single to score, while a one-out double from Coleman Grubbs in the fifth accounted for the final UTRGV run.
On the mound, the combination of Charles King, Jake Eissler (2-0), Haylen Green, James Notary and Durbin Feltman combined to hold the Vaqueros to a pair of runs on seven hits. They walked just one and struck out a season-high 16 batters.
Stat of the Game
700 – Head coach Jim Schlossnagle picked up career win No. 700 on Tuesday night. Of the 700 wins, 623 have come at TCU.
• TCU homered multiple times in a game for the second time this season.
• TCU outhit its opponent for the fifth time this season.
• The TCU pitching staff tallied double-digit strikeouts for the fifth time this season.
• The 16 strikeouts are a season-high for the Horned Frogs’ pitching staff.
• TCU played flawless defense for fourth time this season.
• Josh Watson posted his first career multi-home run game. He’s the first Horned Frog to hit two home runs in a game since Evan Skoug homered twice on May 5, 2017 against Texas.
• Watson homered from both sides of the plate in the victory.
• Luken Baker and Watson hit back-to-back home runs for the second time this season (vs. UT Arlington March 1).
• Watson hit his third and fourth home run of the season and the 15th and 16th of his career.
• Watson has reached base safely in 15 straight games and has hit safely in all 11 games this season.
• Watson collected his seventh multi-hit game of the season and the 38th of his career.
• Watson tallied his third multi-RBI game of the season and the 26th of his career.
• Baker hit his third home run of the season and the 21st career home run.
• Baker notched his fourth multi-RBI game of the season and the 34th of his career.
• Connor Wanhanen registered his fifth multi-hit game of the season and the 38th of his career.
• Michael Landestoy collected his fourth multi-hit game of the season and the 10th of his career.
• Zach Humphreys has reached base safely in six straight.
• A.J. Balta has reached base safely in 10 straight.
With the win, TCU improves to 8-3 on the season. The Horned Frogs hit the road for four straight starting Friday night at USC. Game time against the Trojans is set for 8 p.m. (CT).
FOLLOW THE FROGS
M Basketball @TCUBasketball
W Basketball @TCUWbasketball
M Golf @TCUMensGolf
W Golf @TCUWomensGolf
Swimming & Diving @TCUswimdive
M Tennis @TCUMensTennis
W Tennis @TCUWomensTennis
Track & Field @TCUTrackField
Beach Volleyball @TCUBeachVB