TCU Rolls Past USC, 10-1
March 10, 2018
LOS ANGELES – Jared Janczak was masterful for seven shutout innings and the TCU offense backed him up with 10 runs en route to a 10-1 victory over USC Friday night in the opening game of the Dodger Stadium College Baseball Classic. Eight Horned Frogs tallied a hit, while six registered at least one RBI.
Janczak (1-1) was brilliant over the course of seven innings, allowing just five base runners and never facing more than four batters in any one inning. Only one batter reached second on his watch and that came on a two-out double in the sixth. He finished the night with eight strikeouts. Augie Mihlbauer and Trey Morris pitched the final two innings for TCU.
The offense used a two-out rally in the third to get on the board. Conner Shepherd drew a one-out walk and scored on a two-out double from Connor Wanhanen. Zach Humphreys followed with a base hit up the middle to give TCU a 2-0 lead after three.
A trio of runs came around to score in the fourth as the lead grew to 5-0. Back-to-back singles from Josh Watson and Michael Landestoy put runners on the corners. A.J. Balta collected his first of two doubles on the night to drive in Watson. An RBI-ground out from Shepherd made it 4-0. Coby Boulware and Balta executed a double steal and Balta slid across home plate with the third run of the inning.
The sixth saw five more runs cross the plate. Balta opened the frame with a double and scored on a Boulware base hit through a drawn-in infield. A throwing error allowed Adam Oviedo to score. With two on, Luken Baker launched his fourth home run of the season to left center for a 10-0 lead.
The Trojans picked up their lone run in the ninth on a two-out passed ball.
Stat of the Game
8 – The combination of Jared Janczak, Augie Mihlbauer and Trey Morris limited USC to just eight base runners in the game. No runner reached third until the ninth inning.
• TCU outhit its opponent for the sixth time this season.
• TCU registered multiple runs in three different innings.
• TCU played flawless defense for fifth time this season.
• TCU tallied double-digit hits for the seventh time this season.
• TCU scored in double digits for the third time this season.
• TCU stole multiple bases in the game for the fourth time this season.
• Josh Watson has reached base safely in 16 straight games and has hit safely in all 12 games this season.
• Luken Baker hit his fourth home run of the season and the 23rd of his career.
• Baker notched his fifth multi-RBI game of the season and the 35th of his career.
• Michael Landestoy collected his fifth multi-hit game of the season and the 11th of his career.
• Zach Humphreys has reached base safely in seven straight.
• Humphreys tallied his third multi-hit game of the season and the 10th of his career.
• A.J. Balta has reached base safely in 11 straight.
• Balta collected his fourth multi-hit game of the season and the 31st of his career.
The Horned Frogs improve to 9-3 on the season. TCU continues play in the Dodger Stadium College Baseball Classic on Saturday night when it takes on UCLA. First pitch is set for 9 p.m. (CT) on the Pac-12 Network.
FOLLOW THE FROGS
M Basketball @TCUBasketball
W Basketball @TCUWbasketball
M Golf @TCUMensGolf
W Golf @TCUWomensGolf
Swimming & Diving @TCUswimdive
M Tennis @TCUMensTennis
W Tennis @TCUWomensTennis
Track & Field @TCUTrackField
Beach Volleyball @TCUBeachVB