TCU Falters In Loss To Vanderbilt
March 11, 2018
LOS ANGELES – No. 15 Vanderbilt opened up an early 5-0 lead and never looked back en route to a 7-4 win over No. 7 at Dodger Stadium on Sunday afternoon. Conner Shephered homered to lead the Horned Frogs’ offense.
Vanderbilt struck for a trio of runs in the first as it sent eight batters to the plate. Pat DeMarco’s base hit gave the Commodores the early lead. A two-out bases loaded single from Connor Kaiser pushed the TCU deficit to three, 3-0.
With one on and two out in the second, back-to-back hit batters loaded the bases. Jayson Gonzalez lined a single up the middle to increase the Vanderbilt lead to 5-0.
The Frogs climbed back into the ballgame in the bottom of the inning. A.J. Balta led off the inning with a base hit. Following a walk to Adam Oviedo, Conner Shepherd launched his first career home run over the right center field fence to make it a 5-3 ballgame.
TCU crept even closer in the fifth with a single run to make it a 5-4 game. Zach Humphreys reached on a lead-off walk and moved to second on a Luken Baker base hit. Following a passed ball, Michael Landestoy grounded out to second to pull the Frogs within one.
Vanderbilt stormed back in the sixth, pushing across two runs helped along by a balk and a wild pitch. The Frogs had chances late in the game to score, but stranded five base runners in the final three innings.
Nick Lodolo (3-1) took the loss after giving up five runs on six hits in 1 2/3 innings. Sean Wymer was touched for two runs on two hits. He struck out four. Cal Couglin, James Notary and Augie Mihlbauer pitched the final 3 2/3 innings.
Stat of the Game
5 – Vanderbilt scored five of its seven runs with two outs.
• The TCU pitching staff registered double-digit strikeouts for the sixth time this season.
• TCU registered multiple runs in one inning.
• TCU allowed a first inning run for just the third time this season.
• For the fifth time this season, TCU and its opponent had the same number of hits.
• Josh Watson has reached base safely in 17 straight games and has hit safely in all 13 games this season.
• Zach Humphreys has reached base safely in eight straight.
• Humphreys tallied his fourth multi-hit game of the season and the 11th of his career.
• A.J. Balta has reached base safely in 12 straight.
• Conner Shepherd hit his first career home run.
• Shepherd registered his first career multi-RBI game.
With the loss, TCU drops to 9-4 on the season. The Horned Frogs will wrap up their road trip Tuesday night in Houston when they take on Rice at 6:30 p.m.
FOLLOW THE FROGS
M Basketball @TCUBasketball
W Basketball @TCUWbasketball
M Golf @TCUMensGolf
W Golf @TCUWomensGolf
Swimming & Diving @TCUswimdive
M Tennis @TCUMensTennis
W Tennis @TCUWomensTennis
Track & Field @TCUTrackField
Beach Volleyball @TCUBeachVB