Sweep! TCU’s Win Streak Grows To 12
April 9, 2017
FORT WORTH – No. 3 TCU scored four second inning runs to break a 1-1 tie and never looked back en route to a 13-2 seven inning win over Murray State. The sweep of the Racers pushes TCU’s winning streak to 12 games.
Murray State jumped in front with a run on two hits in the first, but TCU quickly responded in the bottom of the inning. Austen Wade led off the frame with a double and scored easily on an Evan Skoug base hit.
Four runs in the second broke the tie as TCU opened up a 5-1 advantage. Mason Hesse’s double gave TCU a 3-1 lead. RBIs from Cam Warner and Josh Watson followed for the four-run cushion.
TCU tacked on a run in the fourth on Skoug’s second hit of the game. Another four-spot followed in the fifth. With the bases loaded, Wade’s fourth hit made it a 7-2 ballgame. Warner picked up his second RBI of the day to drive in Elliott Barzilli. Luken Baker delivered a two-run single, extending TCU’s lead to eight, 10-2.
Three more runs crossed the plate in the sixth to give TCU the requisite 10-run lead to put the run-rule into effect. Hesse collected his third RBI of the day with a sacrifice fly and Wade’s fifth hit made it a 13-2 ballgame.
Brian Howard (5-2) allowed two runs (one earned) on four hits in five innings of work. He fanned a career-high 11 batters and walked just three. Trey Morris and Cal Coughlin worked scoreless innings in the sixth and seventh, respectively.
Stat of the Game
5 – Austen Wade led the offensive attack with a career-high five hits in the game He went 5-for-5 with 3 RBIs and 4 runs scored.
• TCU has tallied multiple runs in an inning 51 times this season.
• TCU tallied double-digit runs for the ninth time this season.
• TCU stole multiple bases in a game for the 16th time this season.
• TCU scored a first inning run for the eighth time this season.
• TCU improved to 12-4 in games in which the opponent scored first.
• TCU pitchers posted double-digit strikeouts for the 16th time this season.
• Austen Wade has reached base safely in 19 straight games.
• Wade tallied his ninth multi-hit game of the year and the 28th of his career.
• Wade picked up his seventh multi-RBI of the season and the 14th of his career.
• Evan Skoug and Cam Warner have reached base safely in 15 straight games.
• Skoug posted his eighth multi-RBI game of the year and the 34th of his career.
• Skoug notched his seventh multi-hit game of the season and the 46th of his career.
• Luken Baker stretched his hitting streak to 12 games and his on-base streak to 13.
• Baker recorded his eighth multi-RBI game of the year and the 26th of his career.
• Elliott Barzilli pushed his hitting streak to nine games.
• Barzilli notched his seventh multi-hit game of the year and the 49th of his career.
• Nolan Brown recorded his 10th multi-hit game of the season and the 28th of his career.
• Brown has reached base safely in 10 straight games.
• Josh Watson has reached base safely in 11 straight contests.
• Cam Warner posted his 10th multi-hit game of the season and the 33rd of his career.
• Warner collected his ninth multi-RBI game of the year and the 19th of his career.
• Brian Howard struck out a career-high 14 batters.
The sweep of Murray State pushes TCU’s record to 26-5 overall. The Horned Frogs will open up a four-game road trip Tuesday night at Dallas Baptist. First pitch is set for 6:30 p.m.
FOLLOW THE FROGS
M Basketball @TCUBasketball
W Basketball @TCUWbasketball
M Golf @TCUMensGolf
W Golf @TCUWomensGolf
Swimming & Diving @TCUswimdive
M Tennis @TCUMensTennis
W Tennis @TCUWomensTennis
Track & Field @TCUTrackField
Beach Volleyball @TCUBeachVB