TCU Powers Past Kansas, 13-3
April 14, 2018
FORT WORTH – Luken Baker’s two home run game highlighted an offensive outburst as TCU made it four straight wins with a 13-3 victory over Kansas Saturday afternoon at Hoglund Ballpark. Baker tallied six RBIs in the victory. On the mound, the Frogs got a gem from Sean Wymer who went eight innings.
Sean Wymer set the tone on the mound with eight solid innings. He allowed just two runs on four hits, walked one and struck out six in picking up his second win of the season.
The offense gave Wymer plenty of support starting in the first with Luken Baker’s first home run of the game. Zach Humphreys was on first after getting hit by the pitch when Baker lined a two-run home run to straight away center for a 2-0 lead.
A lead-off double in the second from A.J. Balta turned into another run. Balta got a great jump off second and scored easily on an RBI-sacrifice bunt from Adam Oviedo to make it a 3-0 game.
Kansas cut into the lead in the fourth after a lead-off double came around to score on a sacrifice fly to make it a 3-1 contest.
TCU struck for a trio of runs in the sixth to open up a five-run cushion, 6-1. Balta’s second double of the game drove in Michael Landestoy. With runners on the corners and one out, Coby Boulware executed a hit-and-run to drive in Balta. A wild pitch brought home the final run of the frame.
In the seventh, Kansas and TCU traded runs for a 7-2 ballgame. Lead-off doubles for both teams came around to score. Balta’s third hit of the game drove in Watson for the Frogs.
A five-run eighth put the game away for the Frogs. With the bases loaded, Baker launched a no-doubter to left for a grand slam. Oviedo collected his second RBI with a two-out base hit to give the Frogs a 12-2 lead.
Colton Parrish picked up an RBI in the ninth and Mateo Zunica hit a home run to lead off the bottom of the ninth to account for the final score.
Stat of the Game
2 – Luken Baker hit two home runs in the game, his first career multi-home run game. He tallied a career-high six RBIs in the contest.
• TCU improved to 14-1 in games when it outhits an opponent.
• TCU registered double-digit hits for the 12th time this season.
• TCU scored first for the 17th time this season.
• TCU scored a first inning run for the 12th time this season.
• TCU homered in a game for the 12th time this season.
• Luken Baker has reached base safely in 13 straight games.
• Baker hit his eighth and ninth home runs of the season and the 27th and 28th of his career.
• Baker collected his ninth multi-hit game of the season and the 48th of his career.
• Baker notched his seventh multi-RBI game of the season and the 37th of his career.
• A.J. Balta has reached safely in 10 straight.
• Balta collected his eighth multi-hit game of the year and the 35th of his career.
• Balta registered his fifth multi-RBI game of the season and the 28th of his career.
• Josh Watson has reached base safely in 17 straight games.
• Watson has hit safely in 10 straight.
• Watson notched his 11th multi-hit game of the season and the 42nd of his career.
• Connor Wanhanen has reached base safely in six straight.
• Coby Boulware picked up his eight multi-hit game of the year.
• Adam Oviedo recorded his 10th career multi-hit game and his sixth career multi-RBI game.
• Johnny Rizer picked up his first career multi-hit game.
With the victory, TCU improves to 18-13 overall and 6-5 in Big 12 play. The Horned Frogs will go for the sweep on Sunday afternoon. First pitch is set for 1 p.m. on ESPN3. Jared Janczak is expected to return to the mound for the Frogs.
FOLLOW THE FROGS
M Basketball @TCUBasketball
W Basketball @TCUWbasketball
M Golf @TCUMensGolf
W Golf @TCUWomensGolf
Swimming & Diving @TCUswimdive
M Tennis @TCUMensTennis
W Tennis @TCUWomensTennis
Track & Field @TCUTrackField
Beach Volleyball @TCUBeachVB