TCU Walks Off In Extras Against Texas
May 6, 2017
FORT WORTH – A bases-loaded sacrifice fly off the bat of Connor Wanhanen capped a wild night at Lupton Stadium as No. 7 TCU topped No. 24 Texas 11-10 in 11 innings.
Elliott Barzilli and Ryan Merrill worked full-count walks to start the 11th inning. A base hit from Austen Wade loaded the bases with nobody out. Wanhanen battled a 1-2 count before driving a sac fly to left field for the walk-off RBI.
TCU and Texas traded 10th inning runs. The Longhorns took a 10-9 lead on a two-out single from Zane Gurwitz. Josh Watson’s strike to home plate cut down the runner trying to score from second to keep the deficit at one. Evan Skoug wasted little time tying the game at 10 as he launched his second home run of the game over the center field fence to lead off the bottom of the inning, setting up Wanhanen’s heroics in the 11th.
TCU built an early 6-1 lead after two innings. Cam Warner’s two-run single in the first erased a 1-0 Texas lead. A two-out, two-run double from Luken Baker and a two-run home run from Skoug in the second gave TCU a 5-run lead.
Texas and TCU traded a run each in the third and two in the fifth as the Frogs clung to the five-run lead. Back-to-back home runs from Barziili and Merrill highlighted the fifth.
The Longhorns began their comeback in the seventh with four runs and completed it with a run in the ninth to force extra innings.
Cal Coughlin (1-0) picked up his first career win, striking out all three batters he faced in the 11th.
Stat of the Game
5 – Texas starter Morgan Cooper had allowed just four doubles in 68 1/3 innings pitched this season. TCU had five extra base hits (four doubles and one home run) in the three innings Cooper was on the mound.
• TCU improved to 5-0 in extra innings this season and has won eight straight dating back to 2015.
• TCU posted its ninth attendance of over 5,000.
• TCU hit multiple home runs in a game for the 11th time this season.
• The TCU pitching staff posted double-digit strikeouts for the 20th time this season.
• Austen Wade has reached base safely in 32 straight games.
• Wade tallied his 13th multi-hit game of the season and the 32nd of his career.
• Luken Baker stretched his on-base streak to 26 games.
• Baker posted his 11th multi-RBI game of the year and the 29th of his career.
• Wade and Baker stretched their hitting streaks to six games.
• Evan Skoug hit his team-leading 10th and 11th home runs of the season and the 26th and 27th of his career.
• Skoug’s 2-home run game was his second of the season and the third of his career.
• Skoug collected his 14th multi-hit game of the season and the 54th of his career.
• Skoug tallied his 10th multi-RBI game of the year and the 36th of his career.
• Cam Warner posted his 10th multi-RBI game of the season and the 20th of his career.
• Connor Wanhanen has reached base safely in 11 straight games.
• Ryan Merrill has reached base safely in 13 straight games.
• Merrill notched his seventh multi-hit game of the season and the 20th of his career.
• Merrill picked up his sixth multi-RBI game of the year and the 13th of his career.
• Merrill hit his fifth home run of the season and the sixth of his career.
• Elliott Barzilli collected his eighth multi-hit game of the year and the 50th of his career.
• Barzilli hit his fifth home run of the year and the 16th of his career.
• Josh Watson notched his ninth multi-hit game of the season and the 26th of his career.
With the win, TCU improves to 33-11 overall and 13-6 in Big 12 play. The Horned Frogs and the Longhorns will square off in Game 2 of the series on Saturday at Noon. The game will be televised on ESPN2.
FOLLOW THE FROGS
M Basketball @TCUBasketball
W Basketball @TCUWbasketball
M Golf @TCUMensGolf
W Golf @TCUWomensGolf
Swimming & Diving @TCUswimdive
M Tennis @TCUMensTennis
W Tennis @TCUWomensTennis
Track & Field @TCUTrackField
Beach Volleyball @TCUBeachVB