SWEEP! Baker Delivers Walk-Off In Extras
May 7, 2017
FORT WORTH – TCU rallied for a 4-3 victory in 10 innings on Luken Baker’s double, completing the sweep of Texas. It’s the third time in the last four seasons the Horned Frogs have swept the Longhorns. The win marks the 600th career win at TCU for head coach Jim Schlossnagle.
Connor Wanhanen led off the 10th inning with his second hit of the afternoon. A fielder’s choice put Ryan Merrill on base with one out. Baker delivered, launching a walk-off double off the right center field fence and Merrill raced around the bases with the game-winning run.
The 10th inning run capped a furious comeback for the Horned Frogs, who entered the bottom of the seventh trailing 3-0.
TCU worked five walks in the seventh to pull within one, 3-2. Nolan Brown and Evan Williams each drew a bases-loaded walk in the fame. The Frogs completed the comeback in the eighth on Evan Skoug’s two-out double that drove in Wanhanen to make it a 3-3 ballgame.
Texas built its lead with single runs in the third, sixth and seventh. A sacrifice fly with the bases loaded in the third put the Longhorns on top 1-0. Kody Clemens’ home run to lead off the sixth pushed the lead to two. In the seventh, the Longhorns took advantage of two errors and two hits to plate their final run of the game.
Sean Wymer (3-2) turned in a strong performance on the mound in relief of Mitchell Traver. He entered with two out in the sixth and allowed just one unearned run on five hits and struck out one in 4 1/3 inning. Traver fanned seven and walked just two while allowing two runs on four hits in 5 2/3 innings.
Stat of the Game
600 – The victory against Texas gives head coach Jim Schlossnagle his 600th career win as the head coach at TCU.
• TCU improved to 6-0 in extra innings this season and has won nine straight dating back to 2015.
• TCU posted its third sweep of Texas in the five series meetings since joining the Big 12.
• TCU posted its 11th attendance of over 5,000.
• The three game series against Texas drew 15,862 fans, the third-most attended series in stadium history.
• TCU has scored multiple runs in an inning 71 times this season.
• TCU has trailed at some point in a game 28 times this season, it has come back to win 17 of those games.
• Luken Baker stretched his on-base streak to 28 games.
• Baker stretched his hitting streaks to eight games.
• Evan Skoug has reached base safely in 26 straight games.
• Connor Wanhanen has reached base safely in 13 straight games.
• Wanhanen posted his third multi-hit game of the season and the 30th of his career.
• Ryan Merrill has reached base safely in 15 straight games.
• Michael Landestoy has reached base safely in 8 straight.
With the victory, TCU improves to 35-11 overall and 15-6 in Big 12 play. TCU will hit the road next weekend for its final conference series of the season at Oklahoma. Friday’s series-opener is set for 6:30 p.m.
FOLLOW THE FROGS
M Basketball @TCUBasketball
W Basketball @TCUWbasketball
M Golf @TCUMensGolf
W Golf @TCUWomensGolf
Swimming & Diving @TCUswimdive
M Tennis @TCUMensTennis
W Tennis @TCUWomensTennis
Track & Field @TCUTrackField
Beach Volleyball @TCUBeachVB