TCU Clinches Title Share With Wild Win
May 12, 2017
NORMAN, Okla. – A three-run ninth inning for No. 5 TCU helped the Horned Frogs rally for a 9-6 victory over No. 24 Oklahoma Friday night. The win guarantees TCU at least a share of the Big 12 regular season title, it’s second in the last three seasons.
A game that was sailing through four innings with TCU holding a 2-0 lead screeched to a halt in the bottom of the fifth after Oklahoma scored two unearned runs to tie the game.
From there, TCU and Oklahoma traded runs at a rapid pace, but it was eventually the Frogs that had the last laugh with three in the top of the ninth. Connor Wanhanen led off the frame with a double and scored easily on a base hit from Ryan Merrill. Nolan Brown was hit on the leg with the bases loaded and Evan Williams worked a walk to give TCU some breathing room at 9-6.
Durbin Feltman came on in the ninth and pitched around a pair of hits to record his 12th save of the season. Sean Wymer (4-2) picked up the win in relief. Nick Lodolo was solid through 6 1/3, allowing four runs (two earned) on seven hits.
The see-saw battle started in the sixth with the two teams trading runs. Elliott Barzilli’s two-out hit drove in Evan Skoug, who had led off the inning with a double. The Sooners picked up a two-out run of their own to tie the game at three.
In the seventh, a lead-off triple turned into a 4-3 Oklahoma lead, but TCU answered with a three spot in the eighth on back-to-back doubles from Skoug and Cam Warner. A wild pitch with the bases loaded pushed the lead to two, 6-4. Oklahoma rallied again with a pair of two-out runs, setting up the ninth inning finish.
Stat of the Game
9 – TCU has clinched a share of the Big 12 regular season title, giving head coach Jim Schlossnagle his ninth regular season title in 14 seasons at TCU.
• TCU has now won a Big 12 championship each of the last four seasons, two regular season crowns (2015, 2017) and two tournament championships (2014, 2016).
• It’s the first time the Big 12 has had a team clinch multiple regular season titles since the 2010-11 seasons (Texas).
• TCU has trailed at some point in a game 29 times this season, it has come back to win 18 of those games.
• TCU has scored multiple runs in an inning 74 times this season.
• Durbin Feltman moved into sole possession of second place all-time at TCU with his 21st career save.
• Luken Baker stretched his on-base streak to 29 games.
• Baker stretched his hitting streaks to nine games.
• Evan Skoug has reached base safely in 27 straight games.
• Skoug collected his 15th multi-hit game of the season and the 55th of his career.
• Skoug also tallied his 12th multi-RBI game of the year and the 38th of his career.
• Ryan Merrill has reached base safely in 16 straight games.
• Merrill picked up his ninth multi-hit game of the season and the 22nd of his career.
• Connor Wanhanen has reached base safely in 14 straight games.
• Cam Warner stretched his hitting streak to seven games.
With the victory, TCU improves to 36-11 overall and 16-6 in Big 12 play. Game 2 of the series is set for Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m. The game will be televised on FSOklahomas.
FOLLOW THE FROGS
M Basketball @TCUBasketball
W Basketball @TCUWbasketball
M Golf @TCUMensGolf
W Golf @TCUWomensGolf
Swimming & Diving @TCUswimdive
M Tennis @TCUMensTennis
W Tennis @TCUWomensTennis
Track & Field @TCUTrackField
Beach Volleyball @TCUBeachVB