TCU Walks Away With 8-4 Victory
May 15, 2018
NACOGDOCHES, Texas – TCU scored four times in the ninth to break a 4-4 tie en route to an 8-4 victory over Stephen F. Austin on Tuesday night. Michael Landestoy was the catalyst to the win as he was 3-for-4 with a home run and four RBIs in the victory.
TCU opened the scoring in the first as it took advantage of a lead-off walk to Coby Boulware. He was standing on third with two outs when Michael Landestoy delivered a base hit to give the Frogs a 1-0 lead.
The Frogs tacked on another two-out run in the second. Colton Parrish worked a walk and stole second. He scored easily on a Boulware double for a 2-0 lead.
SFA scored three unanswered runs to take a 3-2 lead. It loaded the bases in the second with nobody out and ultimately tied the game at two. Trey Morris took over with no outs and got a trio of ground balls to limit the damage to just the two runs. In the fourth, the Lumberjacks grabbed the lead on a two-out, bases loaded wild pitch.
Michael Landestoy opened the sixth with a lead-off home run to tie the game at three and Conner Shepherd gave TCU a 4-3 lead with a lead-off home run in the seventh.
The Lumberjacks tied the game at four in the bottom of the inning as three of the first four batters singled. The damage was limited as Caleb Sloan (3-0) got a double play ball to end the inning.
In the ninth, four straight walks broke the tie as A.J. Balta’s free pass gave the Frogs a 5-4 lead. Landestoy dumped a two-run single into center for a 7-4 advantage. A wild pitch allowed Balta to score the eighth run of the game.
Trey Morris pitched four innings of relief allowing a run on three hits. He walked two and struck out four. Augie Mihlbauer and Austin Boyles combined to strike out the side in the seventh.
Stat of the Game
4 – Entering the ninth inning tied at four, TCU drew four consecutive walks and all four eventually scored to help lead the Frogs to victory.
• TCU homered in a game for the 20th time this season.
• TCU has hit multiple home runs in a game nine times this season.
• TCU stole multiple bases in a game for the 20th time this season.
• TCU drew eight walks in the game and six of them came around to score.
• Michael Landestoy has reached base safely in 10 straight.
• Coby Boulware stole multiple bases in a game for the sixth time this season.
• Boulware has hit safely in a career-high five straight games.
• Josh Watson has reached base safely in 13 straight games.
• Michael Landestoy hit his third home run of the season and the fifth of his career.
• Landestoy collected his 10th multi-RBI game of the season and the 15th of his career.
• Landestoy registered his 18th multi-hit game of the year and the 24th of his career.
• Conner Shepherd hit his sixth home run of the season.
• Connor Wanhanen has reached base safely in 10 straight.
• Zach Humphreys has reached base safely in nine straight games.
With the win, TCU improves to 30-19 on the season. The Horned Frogs will travel to Austin to close out the regular season with a three game Big 12 series at Texas. Thursday’s first pitch is slated for 6:30 p.m. The game will be televised on FS1.
FOLLOW THE FROGS
M Basketball @TCUBasketball
W Basketball @TCUWbasketball
M Golf @TCUMensGolf
W Golf @TCUWomensGolf
Swimming & Diving @TCUswimdive
M Tennis @TCUMensTennis
W Tennis @TCUWomensTennis
Track & Field @TCUTrackField
Beach Volleyball @TCUBeachVB