TCU Stays Alive With Win Over OU
May 25, 2017
OKLAHOMA CITY – No. 6 TCU built a 9-0 lead en route to a 9-4 victory over No. 23 Oklahoma on Thursday afternoon to stay alive in the Phillips 66 Big 12 Tournament. Jared Janczak threw five shutout innings and six Horned Frogs tallied an RBI.
TCU jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the second. Elliott Barzilli got things rolling with a one-out single. After a walk to Ryan Merrill, Josh Watson doubled to left center for a 1-0 lead. A bases loaded single from Austen Wade and a walk to Zach Humphreys drove in two more runs.
Jared Janczak (8-0) held the Sooners in check for five innings. Watson helped keep them off the board, robbing a home run from Austin O’Brien to end the fourth. In the fifth, Janczak got a fly out to end the inning after a pair of Sooners reached with two outs.
The Frogs bats emerged in the sixth as they scored six times in their final three at-bats to open up a 9-0 lead. Cam Warner scored on a wild pitch in the sixth. An Evan Skoug double in the seventh pushed the advantage to six. The only error of the game produced two more runs in the seventh. Barzilli’s third hit of the game made it 7-0. Warner’s two-run single in the eighth capped the Frogs’ scoring.
Oklahoma made it a game in the ninth as it pushed across four runs and had the tying run on deck with only one out. Durbin Feltman came on and needed just five pitches to get the final two outs of the game.
Along with Janczak’s five shutout innings, Charles King contributed three of his own, allowing a hit, a walk and striking out two to get the Frogs to the ninth. Janczak finished the game with three hits allowed, one walk and eight strikeouts.
Stat of the Game
15 – Durbin Feltman retired both batters he faced in the ninth to record his 15th save of the season, tying Riley Ferrell’s school record set in 2015. He now has 24 career saves, a mark that ranks second all-time in program history.
• TCU picked up win No. 40 on the season. That’s the 11th 40-win season in program history, all of them coming since Jim Schlossnagle became the head coach.
• TCU improved to 35-14 in conference tournament games under the guidance of Schlossnagle.
• TCU improved to 10-6 in Big 12 tournament games, including a 10-4 mark in games played in Oklahoma City.
• TCU has scored multiple runs in an inning 85 times this season.
• TCU improved to 13-4 against ranked opponents this season.
• TCU pitchers racked up double-digit strikeouts for the 22nd time.
• TCU tallied double-digit hits for the 21st time this season.
• TCU played errorless baseball for the 20th time this season.
• Cam Warner collected his 18th multi-hit game of the year and the 41st of his career.
• Warner posted his 12th multi-RBI game of the season and the 22nd of his career.
• Austen Wade tallied his 18th multi-hit game of the season and the 37th of his career.
• Connor Wanhanen has reached base safely in 22 straight games.
• Elliott Barzilli has reached base safely in 12 games.
• Barzilli notched his 11th multi-hit game of the season and the 53rd of his career.
• Evan Skoug has hit safely in all nine conference tournament games he’s played over his career.
TCU improves to 40-15 overall with the victory. The Horned Frogs continues play in the tournament Friday night as it takes on the loser of the Kansas-Texas game at 7. The game will be televised on FSSW+.
FOLLOW THE FROGS
M Basketball @TCUBasketball
W Basketball @TCUWbasketball
M Golf @TCUMensGolf
W Golf @TCUWomensGolf
Swimming & Diving @TCUswimdive
M Tennis @TCUMensTennis
W Tennis @TCUWomensTennis
Track & Field @TCUTrackField
Beach Volleyball @TCUBeachVB