Big Eighth Leads TCU To Victory
May 27, 2016
OKLAHOMA CITY – TCU needed a nine-run eighth inning to stretch its winning streak to seven games. The Horned Frogs rallied from a pair of deficits to post a 13-5 victory over Oklahoma State on Thursday.
TCU showed its resilient nature on a pair of occasions to rally for the win. Oklahoma State jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the first inning. The Cowboys batted around and took advantage of an error to take the lead.
A two-out rally in the fourth got the game squared at four as TCU struck for a quartet of runs on five hits. Elliott Barzilli got the rally started with a one-out single Ryan Merrill followed with his second hit of the game. Dane Steinhagen’s triple to left cut the deficit in half, 4-2. Connor Wanhanen pulled the Frogs within one with a double and scored on an Austen Wade base hit to tie the game.
After a rocky first, Mitchell Traver settled in and threw three shutout innings. Ryan Burnett and Preston Guillory got the game to the seventh tied at four.
Oklahoma State finally broke through on a two-out double from Garrett Benge to put the Cowboys back on top, 5-4, after seven.
TCU wasted little time mounting a comeback. Luken Baker opened the eighth with a base hit. Singles from Barzilli and Merrill loaded the bases with one out. A wild pitch tied the game. Wanhanen was hit on the back to bring in the go-ahead run. Wade pushed the lead to two with a single, while Mason Hesse’s double made it a 9-5 contest.
Evan Skoug put the exclamation on the comeback with a three-run bomb over the bullpen in right field. And just like Wednesday’s game, Baker followed with a solo shot that left the ballpark in left field to make it a 13-5 game.
Brian Trieglaff came on and retired six of the seven batters he faced to lock up the victory for TCU. Guillory picked up the win in relief and is now 4-2 on the season.
Stat of the Game
9 – TCU scored nine runs in the eighth inning to rally from a 5-4 deficit on Thursday.
• TCU collected its 40th win of the season. Head coach Jim Schlossnagle has led TCU to 10 40-win campaigns.
• TCU improved to 33-0 when leading after eight innings.
• TCU has scored two or more runs in an inning 94 times this season.
• TCU scored four runs in an inning for the 34th time this season.
• TCU improved to 18-9 when the opponent scores first.
• TCU tallied double-digit runs for the 19th time this season.
• TCU has homered in 34 games this season.
• TCU has reached double-figures in hits 30 times this season.
• Luken Baker has reached base safely in 26 straight games.
• Luken Baker tallied his 19th career multi-hit game.
• Cam Warner and Austen Wade posted their 17th career multi-hit game.
• Ryan Merrill recorded his 10th multi-hit game of the season.
• Dane Steinhagen notched his 14th multiple-RBI game of the season and the 21st of his career.
• Elliott Barzilli has reached base safely in eight straight games.
• Elliott Barzilli notched his 15th multiple-RBI game of the season and the 22nd of his career.
• Elliott Barzilli collected his team-leading 25th multi-hit game of the season and the 40th of his career.
• Evan Skoug posted his 12nd multiple-RBI game of the season and the 25th of his career.
• Mason Hesse collected his fourth career multiple-RBI game.
TCU improves to 40-14 with the victory. The Horned Frogs advance to the Division Two championship game on Saturday at 12:30. The Frogs will await the winner of Friday’s Oklahoma State-Texas game.
FOLLOW THE FROGS
M Basketball @TCUBasketball
W Basketball @TCUWbasketball
M Golf @TCUMensGolf
W Golf @TCUWomensGolf
Swimming & Diving @TCUswimdive
M Tennis @TCUMensTennis
W Tennis @TCUWomensTennis
Track & Field @TCUTrackField
Beach Volleyball @TCUBeachVB