TCU Opens Tourney With Win
June 4, 2017
FORT WORTH – A six-run eighth inning proved to be the difference as No. 6 TCU held on for a 9-6 win over Central Connecticut State in its opening game of the NCAA Fort Worth Regional.
Mitchell Traver (4-1) was brilliant in working through seven innings on the mound. He limited the Blue Devils to a run on one hit, walked two and struck out a season-high nine.
TCU opened the scoring in the fifth. A one-out walk to Connor Wanhanen turned into the game’s first run as he stole second and moved to third on an error. Josh Watson’s first double of the game put the Frogs on top 1-0.
A two-out rally in the sixth extended TCU’s lead to 3-0. Evan Skoug was hit by the pitch to start the rally. Following a base hit by Cam Warner, Nolan Brown’s single up the middle drove in two for the three-run cushion.
After CCSU had gotten on the board in the eighth on a two-out double, TCU exploded for six runs in the bottom of the frame to make it a 9-1 ballgame. Austen Wade’s double opened the flood gates as the first six batters reached in the frame. Skoug lined a three-run homer to right for a 6-1 lead. Elliott Barzilli contributed a two-run double. Watson’s second double of the night capped the scoring.
The Blue Devils didn’t go quietly as they struck for five runs in the top of the ninth to close the gap. With the tying run at the plate, Durbin Feltman came on and got a strikeout to lock up his 16th save of the season.
Stat of the Game
17 – Evan Skoug hit his team-leading 17th home run of the season. It’s the most home runs by a Horned Frog since Matt Curry had 17 in 2010.
Notes: • TCU improved to 46-34 all-time in NCAA Tournament play.
• TCU is 18-3 all-time in Regional games played at Lupton Stadium.
• TCU is 29-18 all-time in NCAA Regional games.
• TCU is 11-4 all-time in NCAA Regional openers.
• TCU has scored multiple runs in an inning 91 times this season.
• TCU posted double-digit hits for the 23rd time this season.
• TCU stole multiple bases in a game for the 28th time this season.
• TCU pitchers registered double-digit strikeouts for the 25th time this season.
• Connor Wanhanen has reached base safely in 26 straight games.
• Elliott Barzilli has reached base safely in 16 games.
• Barzilli stretched his hitting streak to six games.
• Barzilli notched his fifth multi-RBI game of the season and the 28th of his career.
• Evan Skoug posted his 16th multi-RBI game of the season and the 42nd of his career.
• Cam Warner collected his 19th multi-RBI game of the year and the 42nd of his career.
• Nolan Brown posted his sixth multi-RBI game of the season and the 14th of his career.
• Josh Watson notched his 13th multi-hit game of the year and the 30th of his career.
• Watson also picked up his seventh multi-RBI game of the season and the 21st of his career.
• Durbin Feltman’s save was the 16th of the season and the 25th of his career.
TCU improves to 43-16 overall with the victory. The win sets up a winner’s bracket match-up with No. 11 Virginia Sunday afternoon at approximately 4 p.m. Jared Janczak will get the start for the Horned Frogs.
FOLLOW THE FROGS
M Basketball @TCUBasketball
W Basketball @TCUWbasketball
M Golf @TCUMensGolf
W Golf @TCUWomensGolf
Swimming & Diving @TCUswimdive
M Tennis @TCUMensTennis
W Tennis @TCUWomensTennis
Track & Field @TCUTrackField
Beach Volleyball @TCUBeachVB