Janczak Leads TCU To Regional Final
June 5, 2017
FORT WORTH – No. 6 TCU picked up four early runs and used another dominating pitching performance from Jared Janczak to pick up a 5-1 win over No. 11 Virginia on Sunday night to advance in the winner’s bracket to the NCAA Fort Worth Regional championship game.
Janczak (9-0) was masterful in holding the nation’s fourth-best offensive team to just a run on six hits over 8+ innings on the mound. He walked just one batter, pitched around a pair of TCU errors and fanned six in the victory.
TCU opened up a 1-0 lead in the second inning as it made the most out of a lead-off double off the bat of Nolan Brown. He moved to third on an Elliott Barzilli ground out and scored on a ground out off the bat of Connor Wanhanen.
Two errors and three hits in the third helped extend TCU’s lead to 4-0. Back-to-back singles from Ryan Merrill and Austen Wade had the Frogs in business in the third. Zach Humphreys reached on an error to drive in Merrill and Evan Skoug’s second double of the game drove in Wade to make it 3-0. The second error of the inning allowed Skoug to score.
Virginia had base runners in each of the first five innings, but Janczak limited the activity on the bases to just one runner. The Cavaliers picked up their lone run of the game in the eight after a lead-off double scored on a base hit with nobody out. The Frogs turned the second of two double plays to minimize the damage.
TCU got the run back in the top of the ninth as Humphreys’ grounder with the bases loaded drove in Michael Landestoy for a 5-1 lead.
In the ninth the first two Virginia batters reached, giving them more than one base runner for just the first time in the game. Durbin Feltman came out and struck out three straight to end the game.
Stat of the Game
17 – Sophomore Durbin Feltman collected his nation-leading 17 save in the contest. His save in Saturday’s game was his school-record 16th. He now has 26 saves in his career.
• TCU improved to 47-34 all-time in NCAA Tournament play.
• TCU is 19-3 all-time in Regional games played at Lupton Stadium.
• TCU is 30-18 all-time in NCAA Regional games.
• TCU is advancing to a Regional final for the fourth straight season and its fifth straight as a postseason participant.
• TCU has scored multiple runs in an inning 92 times this season.
• TCU stole multiple bases in a game for the 29th time this season.
• TCU improved to 14-4 against ranked teams this season.
• Austen Wade has reached base safely in nine straight games.
• Evan Skoug recorded his 18th multi-hit game of the year and the 58th of his career.
• Zach Humphreys notched his seventh career multi-RBI game of the season.
• Jared Janczak has allowed just one earned run in 16 innings pitched over his last three starts.
TCU improves to 44-16 overall with the victory. The win puts TCU in the Regional championship game scheduled for Monday night at 7 p.m. The Frogs will await the winner of the Virginia-Dallas Baptist elimination game scheduled for 2 p.m. on Monday. Brian Howard will make the start for the Horned Frogs.
FOLLOW THE FROGS
M Basketball @TCUBasketball
W Basketball @TCUWbasketball
M Golf @TCUMensGolf
W Golf @TCUWomensGolf
Swimming & Diving @TCUswimdive
M Tennis @TCUMensTennis
W Tennis @TCUWomensTennis
Track & Field @TCUTrackField
Beach Volleyball @TCUBeachVB