Big Tests Await TCU In Houston
March 2, 2017
HOUSTON - The No. 1 ranked TCU Horned Frogs will face their biggest test of the season so far as they head to Houston to take part in the Shriners Hospitals for Children College Classic where they will face a trio of top 15 teams. First up on Friday is No. 4 LSU, followed by No. 15 Texas A&M on Saturday and No. 11 Ole Miss on Sunday.
Friday vs. LSU RHP Brian Howard vs. RHP Alex Lange
Saturday vs. Texas A&M LHP Nick Lodolo vs. RHP Stephen Kolek
Sunday vs. Ole Miss RHP Jared Janczak vs. RHP Brady Feigl
• For the second straight week, TCU remained the No. 1 team in the country.
• TCU stretched its winning streak to three games with a 13-5 win over Rice on Tuesday night.
• The Horned Frogs lead the Big 12 with 11 home runs and 18 stolen bases.
• TCU has scored multiple runs in an inning 18 times this season.
• TCU has scored 29 two-out runs this year.
• Six Horned Frogs have tallied a home run this season.
• TCU has made an error in all but one game this year.
• The TCU pitching staff has fanned 10 or more in four games this season.
• Nolan Brown ranks sixth in the Big 12 with a .400 batting average and fourth in on-base percentage (.516).
• Luken Baker hit two home runs in the series against Arizona State and is tied for the Big 12 lead with three.
• Cam Warner has reached base in all eight games this season.
• Austen Wade is riding a seven-game hitting streak and leads the Big 12 with six stolen bases.
• Durbin Feltman recorded his 11th career save Sunday. He is 11-for-11 in saves during his career.
COLLEGE CLASSIC NOTABLES
• 2016 marks the program’s seventh appearance in the tournament and its second consecutive appearance.
• TCU previously appeared in 2001, 2002, 2006, 2010, 2014 and 2016).
• The Horned Frogs own an 11-7 record in the tournament.
• TCU was crowned the 2016 champion after going 3-0 in the tournament for the first-time ever.
• The Frogs are 22-15 in regular season tournaments under head coach Jim Schlossnagle.
• Friday night’s meeting against LSU will be the 10th in program history.
• LSU leads the all-time series 6-3, but TCU has won the last two meetings.
• The Frogs defeated the Tigers 10-3 and 8-4 in the College World Series in 2015.
• Saturday’s meeting against Texas A&M will the 259th meeting.
• Texas A&M leads the series 162-92-4.
• The Frogs are 7-6 against the Aggies under the guidance of Jim Schlossnagle.
• TCU is 4-2 against the Aggies the last two seasons, with all six meetings coming in the NCAA Super Regional.
• Sunday’s meeting will be the 18th meeting between TCU and Ole Miss.
• The Rebels own a 9-8 series lead, including a 7-6 mark since 2008.
• Ole Miss won the last meeting, 6-4, in the 2014 College World Series.
• Jim Schlossnagle (Manager) and Mike Bianco (Assistant Coach) served as coaches on the 2013 USA Baseball Collegiate National Team.
Elliott Barzilli went through an 0-for-12 drought over a two game span, but broke out of it in a big way with a home run in the sixth inning on Saturday. Since the slump, Barzilli has gone 6-for-15 with two walks. His RBI-double in Sunday’s game tied the game in the seventh inning.
Barzilli’s nine hits are tied for fourth on the team, while his five extra base hits are the most on the team. He hit the first home run of the season for the Frogs.
TCU leads the Big 12 with 11 home runs this season. Six Horned Frogs have contributed to the nine long balls. Austen Wade and Michael Landestoy were the latest to join the home run party, collecting their first of the season on Friday night. Wade added his second on Tuesday.
Only five of the home runs have come with runners on base. Luken Baker leads the team with three, two of which have come with runners on.
In the three seasons prior to 2016, the Frogs had hit a combined 54 home runs spanning 189 games. In its last 75 games played, TCU has racked up 66 home runs.
COMING FROM BEHIND
TCU has fallen behind in five of eight games this season, but has rallied back to win each game. Four times, the Frogs have allowed a first inning run.
Aside from its one loss this year, the latest the Frogs have trailed in a game was the 7th inning. TCU scored three runs to rally for the win.
Cam Warner is the lone Frog to have reached base in all eight games this season. He has recorded a hit in six of the eight games and drawn a walk in the other two.
Austen Wade enters the weekend carrying a seven-game hit streak. After going hitless in his first five at-bats, he is 10-for-26 (.384) since.
FOLLOW THE FROGS
M Basketball @TCUBasketball
W Basketball @TCUWbasketball
M Golf @TCUMensGolf
W Golf @TCUWomensGolf
Swimming & Diving @TCUswimdive
M Tennis @TCUMensTennis
W Tennis @TCUWomensTennis
Track & Field @TCUTrackField
Beach Volleyball @TCUBeachVB