Preview: UT Rio Grande Valley
March 5, 2018
UT Rio Grande Valley
FORT WORTH - TCU will wrap up an eight game homestand Tuesday night when it plays host to UT Rio Grande Valley. The Horned Frogs have won five of their last six games entering the contest. First pitch is set for 6:30 p.m. at Lupton Stadium.
• TCU made it 3-for-3 in series victories with a 2-1 series win over UC Irvine this past weekend.
• Head coach Jim Schlossnagle will be going for career win No. 700 on Tuesday night.
• On Friday, TCU won for the second time this season when trailing after eight. It’s the first time since the 2016 season the Frogs have posted at least two wins.
• TCU ranks fifth in the Big 12 in batting average (.279), third in ERA (3.18) and fourth in fielding percentage (.972).
• The TCU pitching staff has issued the fewest walks (30) in the Big 12 this season, averaging just 2.98 per nine innings.
• Josh Watson’s .457 batting average is fourth in the Big 12. He has hit safely in all 10 games this year.
• Watson has registered multi-hits in six of the 10 games played this season.
• A.J. Balta stretched his on-base streak to nine games. He tallied four RBIs in the UC Irvine series.
• Jared Janczak notched his 200th career strikeout in Friday’s victory.
• After opening the season 4-0, UTRGV has dropped five of its last eight games.
• The Vaqueros are coming off a 2-1 series win at Lamar over the weekend.
• UTRGV is 0-2 in midweek games this season, having lost to TAMU-CC (5-4) and Texas Tech (3-1).
• Tuesday’s game for the Vaqueros will be the end of a four game road swing.
• Nine of their 12 games played have been decided by three runs or less.
• Elijah Alexander paces the team with a .422 average, while Tyler Torres is the top run producer with 10 RBIs.
• UTRGV owns a .972 fielding percentage. The 13 errors have lead to nine unearned runs.
• On the mound, the staff owns a 4.21 ERA and are allowing a .285 batting average against.
• Head coach Derek Matlock was a volunteer assistant at TCU from 2005-06 and volunteer assistant Derek Hassell was the Director of Operations from 2008-09.
• TCU and UT Rio Grande Valley (formerly UT Pan American) will be meeting for the 64th time.
• TCU holds a 49-13-1 lead in the all-time series.
• Since Jim Schlossnagle took over the program in 2004, TCU is 25-0 in the series.
• TCU is 21-0 all-time against UT Rio Grande Valley at Lupton Stadium.
• TCU swept a midweek series against the Vaqueros, winning 10-2 (March 28) and 18-2 (March 29).
• UTRGV last defeated TCU on March 9, 2002 at Dell Diamond in the Express College Classic.
• TCU will play 31 games at home this season.
• TCU went 28-4 at home last season.
• Under the guidance of Jim Schlossnagle, TCU is 341-107 in games played at Lupton Stadium.
• TCU is 116-24 at home over the last three-plus seasons.
• TCU sold a school-record 2,764 season tickets.
• TCU ranked 10th nationally in average attendance this year with an average of 4,785.
FOLLOW THE FROGS
M Basketball @TCUBasketball
W Basketball @TCUWbasketball
M Golf @TCUMensGolf
W Golf @TCUWomensGolf
Swimming & Diving @TCUswimdive
M Tennis @TCUMensTennis
W Tennis @TCUWomensTennis
Track & Field @TCUTrackField
Beach Volleyball @TCUBeachVB