Baseball Set To Host Murray State
April 6, 2017
FORT WORTH - TCU will take a break from league action and host Murray State in a three game series at Lupton Stadium this weekend. The Horned Frogs have won nine straight games entering Friday's contest.
FRIDAY: Jared Janczak vs. Ryan Dills
SATURDAY: Nick Lodolo vs. Austin Dubsky
SUNDAY: Brian Howard vs. Jack Hranec
• TCU is unanimously ranked No. 3 in all the major polls after rattling off nine straight victories.
• TCU nine game winning streak is the longest since winning nine in a row May 1-16, 2015.
• TCU registered its first two shut outs of the season and allowed just four runs in the series at K-State.
• TCU is now 4-0 in extra inning games this season and has won seven straight dating back to 2015.
• TCU punched out 14 batters Tuesday night, its 12th time this season with 10 or more strikeouts. The Frogs ranks 12th nationally with 9.8 K/9.
• Mitchell Traver made his return to the mound on Tuesday night at UT Arlington.
• Jared Janczak (Pitcher) and Nick Lodolo (Newcomer) earned Big 12 Conference weekly honors.
• TCU swiped six bases at Kansas State and now ranks 17th nationally with 49 on the season.
• Austen Wade extended his on-base streak to 16 games, while Cam Warner pushed his hitting streak to 12 games.
• Nolan Brown increased his Big 12 lead in stolen bases and ranks 16th nationally with 14 on the year.
MURRAY STATE NOTABLES
• Murray State is coming off a tough 10-9 loss to Western Kentucky on Tuesday night.
• The Races are just 1-5 in their last six games, losing three one-run games and a pair of two-run games.
• Sixteen of the Racers 28 games have been decided by two runs or less.
• Murray State is 2-4 in weekend series this season.
• The Racers are an offensive-minded group, hitting .310, slugging .487 with an on-base percentage of .402.
• Murray State ranks sixth nationally with an average of 8.3 runs per game.
• Brandon Gutzler is the triple crown leader for the Racers, hitting .391 with seven home runs and 35 RBIs.
• Aaron Bence is the owner of 10 of Murray State’s 36 stolen bases.
• On the mound, the Races have posted a team ERA of 6.23 and are allowing opponents to hit at a .284 clip.
• Chad Gendron is tied for the team lead with 13 appearances out of the bullpen and has five saves to go along with a 1.80 ERA.
• The Racers boast a .973 fielding percentage with just 28 errors on the year.
• TCU and Murray State have never met on the baseball diamond.
• The Races are the second of three new opponents for the Horned Frogs this season.
• TCU squared off against UC Irvine (March 10-12) earlier this season and will take on Cal (May 18-20) later in the year.
• The Frogs went 1-2 against the Anteaters.
• Under the guidance of Jim Schlossnagle, TCU is 326-104 in games played at Lupton Stadium.
• TCU is 98-21 at home over the last three-plus seasons, including a school-record 33 wins in 2015.
• TCU was tops among private schools and ranked 11th nationally in average attendance in 2016.
• TCU boasted a program-best average of 4,283 fans in 2016.
• TCU ranks eighth nationally in average attendance this year with an average of 4,743.
The Horned Frogs have rattled off nine straight victories since a 4-3 loss to Kansas on March 19. TCU has been getting it done in all facets of the game, hitting .290 as a team, pitching to the tune of a 1.98 ERA and fielding at a .977 clip.
Austen Wade leads the offensive surge with a .419 average (13-for-31). Cam Warner leads the way with 11 RBIs during the streak.
On the mound, Brian Howard and Haylen Green each have notched two wins and Durbin Feltman has four saves. The staff is limiting opponents to a .190 batting average.
IN A GROOVE
The starting rotation has turned in back-to-back weekends of solid starts. Jared Janczak, Nick Lodolo and Brian Howard have combined to post a 1.95 ERA, allowing just eight runs in 37 innings of work in sweeps of Oklahoma State and Kansas State. Every starter has made it through five innings in each of their last three starts.
On the season, they are a combined 11-3 in 22 starts. They own a 3.59 combined ERA. They have racked up 122 strikeouts, while issuing just 37 walks.
AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE
Cam Warner has been a model of consistency this season, hitting safely in 24 of 28 games and reaching base safely in 26. The senior is currently in the midst of a 12-game hitting streak that has seen his batting average climb 55 points.
He is hitting .353 (18-for-51) during the streak with six multi-hit games. Warner has tallied 12 of his team-leading 28 RBIs in the last 12 games.
TCU is averaging 7.1 runs per game this season. TCU has pushed across a run in 80 of 247 offensive innings this season, including multiple runs in 42 of those innings.
The Frogs have scored at least three runs in 25 games this season and have surpassed five or more runs 21 times. Luken Baker leads the Big 12 with 30 runs scored. Six Horned Frogs have scored at least 20 runs this season.
Austen Wade has been a key cog in TCU’s winning streak hitting in the lead-off spot. In eight games played, Wade has led the Frogs with a .419 average. He raised his average 44 points to a team-best .311 in the eight games. Over the last two seasons, Wade has started 79 games in the lead-off spot, including 27 this year.
Wade boasts a .407 on-base percentage in the first inning. He has seven multi-hit games this year and ranks third on the team with five multi-RBI contests.
Last week, TCU hit a pair of grand slams, one each from Mason Hesse and Cam Warner. It’s the first time since the 2010 season that the Horned Frogs have hit multiple grand slams in one season. TCU hit three in 2010. Thirteen of TCU’s 25 home runs on the season have come with runners on base. Seven have been two-run shots, while four others have been three-run home runs.
FOLLOW THE FROGS
M Basketball @TCUBasketball
W Basketball @TCUWbasketball
M Golf @TCUMensGolf
W Golf @TCUWomensGolf
Swimming & Diving @TCUswimdive
M Tennis @TCUMensTennis
W Tennis @TCUWomensTennis
Track & Field @TCUTrackField
Beach Volleyball @TCUBeachVB