April 10, 2012
GAME DAY INFORMATION
TCU vs. UT Arlington
| Dates (Time)
|| Wednesday, April 11 (6:30 p.m.)
|| Lupton Stadium | Fort Worth, Texas
| Starting Pitchers
Stefan Crichton vs. TBA
| Watch Live
|| KTCU 88.7 FM
| Game Notes
| Social Media
|| Facebook | Twitter
FORT WORTH, Texas - TCU will continue its season-long 12-game homestand Wednesday night when it hosts UT Arlington. The Horned Frogs will look to stretch its winning streak to three games as they wrap up a five-game stretch against non-conference foes. Game time Wednesday is set for 6:30 p.m.
• The Horned Frogs rebounded from Thursday night’s loss to record 2-1 series victory over UNC Wilmington this past weekend.
• Friday’s 4-0 victory was the second shutout of the season for the Frogs.
• Preston Morrison threw a career-high 8 2/3 innings on Saturday to win the series-clinching victory.
• Andrew Mitchell fanned 10 batters Friday night, marking his second double-digit strikeout game of the season.
• Jason Coats hit his 31st career home run on Saturday.
• Keaton Jones and Braden Mattson tallied their first career stolen bases.
• Kevin Allen and Kaleb Merck each picked up a save over the weekend.
• The defense committed just three errors in the series.
UT ARLINGTON NOTABLES
• Prior to the Mavericks loss on Saturday against Nicholls State, UT Arlington had won seven straight.
• UTA is tied for third in the Southland with an 8-7 conference record.
• The Mavericks have some impressive midweek wins at Texas, at Oklahoma and against Baylor.
• UT Arlington was scheduled to play Tuesday night at Texas A&M.
• Preston Beck is the offensive star with a .381 average and a team-leading eight home runs and 44 RBIs.
• On the mound, Chad Nack has a team-high four saves.
• Weekend starter, Kasey Merck, is the brother of current Horned Frog, Kaleb Merck.
• Defensively, the Mavericks are fielding at a .969 clip.
• The Horned Frogs and the Mavericks will be meeting for the 142nd time on Wednesday night.
• UTA took a 4-3 extra-inning victory over TCU earlier this season at Clay Gould Ballpark.
• The Mavericks have won two straight against the Frogs.
• TCU holds an 86-55 edge in the all-time series.
• Prior to UTA’s win on March 15, 2011, the Frogs had won 15 straight meetings dating back to the 2004 season.
• TCU has won eight straight over UTA at Lupton.
• Since 2004, the Horned Frogs are 15-4 against the Mavericks.
One of the keys to victory is keeping an inning alive and scoring with two outs. Against UNC Wilmington the Frogs tallied seven two-out runs, including all five of the runs scored in Saturday’s 5-2 win.
On the season, the Horned Frogs have pushed across 59 of their 141 (42%) total runs scored with two outs. As a team, the Frogs are hitting .265 with two outs. Jason Coats leads the team with 11 two-out RBIs.
TCU has allowed 57 of 130 (44%) runs allowed to score with two outs. Opponents are hitting .240 against the Frog pitching staff with two outs.
IN A PINCH
Jerrick Suiter has proven to be a clutch hitter off the bench. He has seen three at-bats in a pinch hit role and has three hits. His first two pinch hits were triples that drove in three runs. Axel Johnson has tied Suiter with three pinch-hit RBIs. Brett Johnson’s lone hit as a pinch hitter was a double. Braden Mattson has two hits.
As a team, Frog pinch hitters are batting .308 with seven RBIs, two triples, a double and four walks.
TCU is seven games into a season-long 12 game homestand. The Frogs have posted a 4-3 so far and has a pair of series wins over UNLV and UNC Wilmington.
Jantzen Witte’s bat has been the hottest as he is hitting .368. Jason Coats and Jerrick Suiter have each driven in four runs. Coats and Josh Elander have each homered. Five different Frogs have swiped a base, including Keaton Jones and Braden Mattson who tallied their first career stolen bases.
On the mound, the pitching staff has been led by Andrew Mitchell who has pitched 12 scoreless innings with 14 strikeouts over two starts.