TCU Opens Five Game Road Trip Tuesday
April 18, 2016
FORT WORTH - TCU starts a five-game road swing Tuesday night at Abilene Christian. The Horned Frogs have won three straight heading into Tuesday's game. First pitch is set for 6:30 p.m.
• TCU picked up its second Big 12 sweep of the season, defeating Oklahoma to improve to 9-3 in league play.
• In Saturday’s series finale, TCU notched its seventh shutout of the year.
It’s TCU’s 31st shutout over the last three years, tops in the NCAA.
• TCU outscored Oklahoma 25-5 over the weekend.
• TCU is one of two Big 12 schools (Oklahoma State) with a sub-3.00 ERA. Its 2.95 ERA is 15th nationally.
• In game two against the Sooners, TCU notched its fourth run-rule victory of the season.
• TCU is ranked 25th in the latest edition of the RPI.
• TCU is 14th nationally in batting average and slugging percentage (.316/.488) and 10th in on-base percentage (.414).
• Evan Skoug was named Big 12 Player of the Week after hitting .600 for the week with six RBIs.
• Austen Wade hit his first career home run on Saturday, the eighth player to hit a home run this season.
• Dalton Horton improved to 6-0 on the season. TCU is 7-0 in games he starts this year.
ABILENE CHRISTIAN NOTABLES
• Abilene Christian is coming off a series win over Texas A&M-Corpus Christi. The Wildcats posted back-to-back 4-0 wins over the Islanders.
• Abilene Christian is 2-3 in midweek games this season.
• TCU is one of three Big 12 opponent the Wildcats face. They are a combined 0-5 against Oklahoma (0-1), TCU (0-1) and Oklahoma State (0-3).
• ACU has played nine one-run games this season. The Wildcats boast a 5-4 mark in those contests.
• Russell Crippen paces the Wildcat offense with a .318 batting average.
• As a team, Abilene Christian has swiped 42 bases, led by 13 from Hunter Markwardt.
• On the mound, the Wildcats have a team ERA of 4.28.
• Nick Palacios has five of the team’s seven saves on the year and leads the team with 16 appearances.
• TCU and Abilene Christian will be meeting on the diamond for the 21st time on Tuesday night.
• The contest second and final game against the Wildcats this season.
• TCU came away with a 6-4 victory at Lupton Stadium on March 22.
• TCU is a perfect 20-0 against Abilene Christian.
• Last season marked the first time the teams had met since the 1995 campaign.
• TCU went 2-0 against the Wildcats last season, winning 4-3 in Abilene and 8-2 at Lupton Stadium.
• The Horned Frogs are 8-3 in games played on an opponents field this season.
• TCU is 11-3 away from home this year.
• TCU is 2-0 in midweek games on the road this season, winning games at Rice and at UT Arlington.
• Under the guidance of Jim Schlossnagle, TCU is 179-109 in games played on the opposition’s home field.
• TCU is 35-16 on the road over the last two seasons.
TCU outscored Oklahoma by a 25-5 margin this past weekend. This season has seen the Horned Frogs post a +165 run differential.
Four Frogs have tallied at least 30 RBIs this season, led by 36 each from Luken Baker and Evan Skoug. In 2015, Skoug led all players with 46 RBIs in 66 games played.
TCU has scored double-digit runs 15 times this season after posting just 11 all of last season. The last time TCU tallied double digit runs more than 13 times in a season was 2010 when it did it 27 times.
START ME UP
Over the weekend, TCU had three quality starts on the mound. The trio held Oklahoma to five runs (two earned) in 19 innings of work.
This season, TCU has used six pitchers in a starting role. They are a combined 17-3 with a 2.97 ERA in 173.0 innings pitched. They’ve issued just 46 walks and are allowing opponents to hit just .243.
CIRCLING THE BASES
Austen Wade connected on his first career home run in Saturday’s game 1 victory over Oklahoma. He’s the eighth Horned Frog to hit a home run this season. Six of the home run hitters have hit three or more. It’s the first time since the 2012 season the lineup has featured six batters with three or more home runs.
TCU’s 30 home runs on the season are the most since it hit 39 in 2012.
Evan Skoug leads TCU with 23 extra base hits. Evan more impressive is his first extra base hit didn’t come until game No. 7.
Skoug ranks eighth nationally with his 16 doubles, just three behind the national leader. He’s also pitched in with a triple and six home runs.
He has surged into a tie for the team lead in RBIs with 36. Over his last 10 games, Skoug has driven in 18 runs.
TCU has a 6-2 record in midweek games this season, including a 2-0 record in midweek contests away from home.
The Horned Frogs are averaging 8.5 runs in midweek games despite hitting only .278 as a team. Elliott Barzilli is TCU’s top hitter with a .444 average and 10 RBIs.
On the mound, TCU is allowing just 3.6 runs per game. Dalton Horton and Rex Hill have combined to start six of the eight games. Jared Janczak has made a team-high five appearances.
FOLLOW THE FROGS
M Basketball @TCUBasketball
W Basketball @TCUWbasketball
M Golf @TCUMensGolf
W Golf @TCUWomensGolf
Swimming & Diving @TCUswimdive
M Tennis @TCUMensTennis
W Tennis @TCUWomensTennis
Track & Field @TCUTrackField
Beach Volleyball @TCUBeachVB