TCU Hosts SFA Tuesday Night
May 9, 2016
FORT WORTH - TCU will make a brief stop at home for a Tuesday night contest against Stephen F. Austin. The game will be televised on FSSW+ starting at 6:30 p.m.
• TCU notched its fourth sweep and second road sweep of the season at Penn State.
• TCU is up to No. 19 in the latest RPI.
• TCU has homered in 29 games this season.
• TCU has scored at least two runs in 81 innings this season.
• TCU continues to pace the Big 12 with a .309 average and ranks second with a 3.27 ERA.
• The TCU pitching staff has issued the fewest walks in the league with only 134.
• TCU added five stolen bases over the weekend and currently leads the Big 12 with 67 on the season.
• Josh Watson became the first Horned Frog freshman since Andrew Walker in 2005 to hit double digit home runs. He’s the first since 2012 to hit 10 home runs in a season.
• Durbin Feltman collected his first career win in Saturday’s second game.
• Luken Baker has reached base safely in 17 straight games.
• Mitchell Traver made his season debut with two scoreless innings on Sunday.
STEPHEN F. AUSTIN NOTABLES
• Stephen F. Austin is coming off a three-game home sweep of McNeese State.
• The Lumberjacks have won 10 of their last 12 games dating back to April 16.
• SFA has played four games against the Big 12 this season, splitting a pair of games each with Oklahoma State and Kansas State.
• SFA is 4-6 in midweek games this season.
• As a team, the Lumberjacks are hitting .304 led by Kyle Thornell’s .369 average.
• Thornell has 10 of the team’s 37 home runs.
• Matthew Dickey is the speed threat with 17 of SFA’s 57 stolen bases.
• SFA owns a team ERA of 5.25 and is allowing opponents to hit .280.
• Austin Hearn is the go-to guy in the bullpen with 20 appearances, while Tyler Starks has four of the team’s eight saves.
• Tuesday’s meeting will be the 15th of the series.
• The Horned Frogs hold a 10-4 series lead.
• TCU is 3-2 against the Lumberjacks under coach Schlossnagle.
• SFA is making its first trek to TCU since the 2013 season. SFA won that contest 6-3 on April 10.
• Stephen F. Austin has won two of the last three games in the series.
• Prior to a 4-3 loss in 2011, the Frogs had won seven straight dating back to the 1990 season.
• The Lumberjacks’ head coach Johnny Cardenas is a former Horned Frog (1992-93).
Josh Watson joined a select group of Horned Frogs to reach double figures in home runs. He’s the first Frog since Josh Elander in 2012 to eclipse that mark and the first freshman since Andrew Walker in 2005 to hit 10 homers in a season. He’s one of just four freshmen in the country with double digit home runs.
Under the guidance of head coach Jim Schlossnagle, Watson is the 13th Horned Frog to own a double-digit home run campaign.
Six of Watson’s home runs have come with runners on base. TCU is 9-1 in games he hits a home run.
SCHOOL’S OUT FOR THE SUMMER
School is officially out for the season which traditionally marks strong runs by TCU squads.
Since head coach Jim Schlossnagle took over the program, TCU has posted a .705 (141-49) winning percentage once school is over for the year.
TCU is off to a solid start this year with a 3-0 mark this season after sweeping Penn State over the weekend.
TCU is one of just 26 schools with over 100 doubles on the season. The Horned Frogs are 23rd nationally with 102 doubles on the year, the most since recording 141 in 2011. The last time TCU recorded over 100 doubles in a season was in 2014 when it hit 101.
Six different Horned Frogs have contributed double-digit home runs this season, led by 16 from Evan Skoug.
SHUTING IT DOWN
TCU improved to 26-0 this season when leading after eight. Since Jim Schlossnagle’s arrival on campus, TCU is 480-8 when leading after eight innings.
TCU has won 31 straight games when leading after eight. The last time the Horned Frogs surrendered lost was on May 30, 2014 against NC State.
Over the last three seasons, TCU is 112-2 when leading after eight.
FOLLOW THE FROGS
M Basketball @TCUBasketball
W Basketball @TCUWbasketball
M Golf @TCUMensGolf
W Golf @TCUWomensGolf
Swimming & Diving @TCUswimdive
M Tennis @TCUMensTennis
W Tennis @TCUWomensTennis
Track & Field @TCUTrackField
Beach Volleyball @TCUBeachVB