TCU Returns To League Play at Baylor
May 12, 2016
FORT WORTH - TCU returns to Big 12 play Friday night when it heads to Baylor for its final road series of the regular season. All three games in the series will by televised on FSSW or FSSW+.
• TCU notched its fourth sweep and second road sweep of the season at Penn State.
• TCU is up to No. 17 in the latest RPI.
• TCU has homered in 29 games this season.
• TCU has scored at least two runs in 81 innings this season.
• TCU continues to pace the Big 12 with a .309 average and ranks second with a 3.27 ERA.
• The TCU pitching staff has issued the fewest walks in the league with only 134.
• TCU added five stolen bases over the weekend and currently leads the Big 12 with 67 on the season.
• Josh Watson became the first Horned Frog freshman since Andrew Walker in 2005 to hit double digit home runs. He’s the first since 2012 to hit 10 home runs in a season.
• Durbin Feltman collected his first career win in Saturday’s second game.
• Luken Baker has reached base safely in 17 straight games.
• Mitchell Traver made his season debut with two scoreless innings on Sunday.
• Baylor is coming off a midweek loss to McNeese State Wednesday night. The game marked the Bears first action since April 30.
• The Bears have lost their last four weekend series and have just three wins in their last 11 games.
• Offensively, the Bears are paced by Kameron Esthay’s .329 average, while Darryn Sheppard is the power threat with seven home runs.
• Baylor has the Big 12’s lowest stolen base total at 14, six of which have come from Steven McLean.
• On the mound, closer Troy Montemayor leads the league with 10 saves.
• Daniel Castano and Drew Toloson are both in the top 10 in the league in innings pitched. The duo have started 11 games each.
• Joe Heineman ranks in the top 10 in the league with 23 appearances out of the bullpen.
• TCU and Baylor will be meeting for the 318th time on Friday night.
• Baylor holds a 161-152-4 lead in the series.
• TCU is 21-13 against Baylor since Jim Schlossnagle took over in 2004, including 6-7 in Waco.
• TCU has won 14 of the last 19 meetings.
• TCU took a 2-1 series victory in Waco in 2014, the defeated the Bears twice en route to its Big 12 Tournament title.
• TCU swept the series in 2015, but dropped the opener of the 2015 Big 12 tournament.
• The Frogs renewed their series with the Bears in 2000 and have played every year since.
• The Horned Frogs are 13-5 in games played on an opponents field this season.
• TCU is 16-5 away from home this year.
• TCU is 10-5 in weekend games on the road this season and has won three of five series.
• Under the guidance of Jim Schlossnagle, TCU is 184-111 in games played on the opposition’s home field.
• TCU is 40-18 on the road over the last two seasons.
Josh Watson joined a select group of Horned Frogs to reach double figures in home runs. He’s the first Frog since Josh Elander in 2012 to eclipse that mark and the first freshman since Andrew Walker in 2005 to hit 10 homers in a season. He’s one of just four freshmen in the country with double digit home runs.
Under the guidance of head coach Jim Schlossnagle, Watson is the 13th Horned Frog to own a double-digit home run campaign.
Six of Watson’s home runs have come with runners on base. TCU is 9-1 in games he hits a home run.
SCHOOL’S OUT FOR THE SUMMER
School is officially out for the season which traditionally marks strong runs by TCU squads. Since head coach Jim Schlossnagle took over the program, TCU has posted a .705 (141-49) winning percentage once school is over for the year.
TCU is off to a solid start this year with a 3-0 mark this season after sweeping Penn State over the weekend.
TCU is one of just 26 schools with over 100 doubles on the season. The Horned Frogs are 23rd nationally with 102 doubles on the year, the most since recording 141 in 2011. The last time TCU recorded over 100 doubles in a season was in 2014 when it hit 101.
Six different Horned Frogs have contributed double-digit home runs this season, led by 16 from Evan Skoug.
TCU leads the Big 12 and ranks 42md nationally with 67 stolen bases. The Frogs have only been caught stealing 12 times this season.
Over the last three seasons, TCU has swiped 278 bases, ranking eighth nationally over that time span.
The TCU lineup features six hitters that have stolen at least seven bases. Austen Wade and Cam Warner lead the way with nine stolen bases.
Six of TCU’s 12 losses of the season have come on Friday nights. TCU has just a +7 run differential on Friday nights and are averaging just 4.6 runs per game. Elliott Barzilli’s .350 average is tops in a lineup that has a .274 batting average on Fridays.
On the mound, the staff boasts a 2.53 ERA, but 16 errors have contributed to 17 unearned runs. In Friday’s loss to Texas Tech, the Frogs allowed four unearned runs in a 7-3 loss.
SHUTTING IT DOWN
TCU improved to 26-0 this season when leading after eight. Since Jim Schlossnagle’s arrival on campus, TCU is 480-8 when leading after eight innings.
TCU has won 31 straight games when leading after eight. The last time the Horned Frogs surrendered lost was on May 30, 2014 against NC State.
Over the last three seasons, TCU is 112-2 when leading after eight.
FOLLOW THE FROGS
M Basketball @TCUBasketball
W Basketball @TCUWbasketball
M Golf @TCUMensGolf
W Golf @TCUWomensGolf
Swimming & Diving @TCUswimdive
M Tennis @TCUMensTennis
W Tennis @TCUWomensTennis
Track & Field @TCUTrackField
Beach Volleyball @TCUBeachVB