May 28, 2009
FORT WORTH, Texas – The No. 13 TCU Horned Frogs open play in the NCAA Fort Worth Regional Friday night against the fourth-seeded Wright State Raiders. Game time at Lupton Stadium is set for 7 p.m. Paul Gerrish will take the mound for TCU against the Raiders’ Rylan Ostrosky. For audio and video of the game click on the Tournament Central Page.
• The Horned Frogs failed to win their conference tournament for the first time since joining the MWC.
• Matt Vern and Kyle Winkler were named to the all-tournament squad.
• Winkler earned the lone win for TCU with his first-career complete game.
• As the years go by, one thing has remained constant — TCU’s appearance in the postseason.
• Since Jim Schlossnagle’s arrival on campus six years ago, the Frogs have been in an NCAA Regional.
• The Frogs are in some elite company with six straight appearances, as only 15 other schools can lay claim to that accomplishment.
• Those 16 schools include: Rice, Virginia, Mississippi, Southern Miss, Texas, Arkansas, Oral Roberts, TCU, South Carolina, Wichita State, Florida State, North Carolina, Cal State Fullerton, Missouri, Arizona State and Miami (Fla.).
• Two schools dropped out this season that had been in the regionals each of the past five years: Pepperdine and N.C. State.
• Prior to coming to TCU, Jim Schlossnagle guided the UNLV Rebels to the tournament in 2003, giving him seven straight postseason appearances.
HOME SWEET HOME
NCAA TOURNAMENT NOTABLES
• On a field that has seen many great moments in its seven-year history, Lupton Stadium will host an NCAA Regional for the first time in school history.
• The Frogs have enjoyed the home park to the tune of a 20-9 (.690) record, including the conference tournament, this season.
• Matt Vern is hitting a blistering .427 at home this season with 12 home runs and 27 RBIs.
• As a team, the Frogs are hitting .306 at Lupton with 30 home runs and 36 stolen bases.
• Five of Kyle Winkler’s six victories this season have come at home as he has posted a 2.27 ERA in eight appearances.
• As a staff, the Frogs have posted a 3.92 ERA and fanned 198 batters, while holding opponents to a .265 batting average.
• TCU earned its second at-large berth in Jim Schlossnagle’s era, having previously been an at-large team in 2005.
• The Frogs are a No. 1 seed in a regional for the first time in school history.
• Previously, the Frogs have been a two-seed (2005, 2007), a three-seed twice (2004, 2008) and a four seed (2006).
• The Frogs are one of only 16 teams to be in the last six regionals.
• TCU is one of three host sites hosting for the first time in school history.
• The Frogs are 8-14 (.364) all-time in the NCAA Tournament.
SERIES HISTORY – WRIGHT STATE
• The Frogs hosted Wright State in 2006.
• TCU dropped the series-opener 6-4 but rebounded with an 8-4 win and a 4-2 victory to earn the series win.
SERIES HISTORY – TEXAS A&M
• The Frogs and the Aggies have a long history, which includes a meeting in each of the last three seasons.
• Jim Schlossnagle is 0-3 against the Aggies in his career.
• TCU dropped a 4-3 extra-inning decision in College Station on April 28.
• Overall, Texas A&M owns a 159-85-4 advantage in the all-time series history.
SERIES HISTORY – OREGON STATE
• TCU and Oregon State have played twice and split the two meetings in 1993.
• Both of those meetings came in Fort Worth on March 23, 1993.
• The Beavers won game one, 2-0, while TCU took game two by a 5-4 score.