TCU Falls to Texas Tech, 60-54

Brandon Parrish

FEB. 1, 2014

Box Score |  Notes | Photo Gallery

  1 2 F
 TCU 28 26 54
 Texas Tech 27 33 60

Quick Stats
Texas Tech
 Points 54 60
 Rebounds 26 24
 Assists 9 15
 Blocks 1 5
 Steals 7 8
 FG Pct. 45% 47.1%

Stat Leaders
 TCU Player Points Reb. Ast. Blks.
Kyan Anderson 22 5 3 0
 Texas Tech Player Points Reb. Ast. Blks.
Dejan Kravic 18 6 2 2

LUBBOCK, Texas - In a game that could have gone either way down the stretch, TCU led by as many as eight in the second half Saturday, but came up short, falling to Texas Tech at United Spirit Arena, 60-54. 

Playing without the services of 6-foot-10 freshman center Karviar Shepherd, the Horned Frogs, who out-rebounded the Red Raiders to the tune of 26-24 despite only playing with one player over 6-foot-7 Saturday, appeared to be well on their way to capturing their first conference victory of the season, jumping out to a 40-32 lead at the 15:28 mark. 

Texas Tech, who was held to a 1-for-16 showing from three Saturday, would storm back though to take a five-point lead before the Frogs tied the game at 50-50 with 4:02 left to go in the contest. In the end though the Red Raiders ended the game on a 10-4 run to make the scoreboard look a lot different. 

With the loss, TCU, who shot 45 percent from the field for the game, moved to 9-11 overall and 0-8 in league play. Texas Tech improved to 11-11 and 3-6 in the Big 12. 

Junior Kyan Anderson carried the Purple and White, scoring a game-high 22 points on 6-of-12 from the field, including 3-of-4 from behind the arc. The Fort Worth native, who scored over 20 points for the second time in three games, also grabbed a season-high five boards, while dishing out three assists. Amric Fields added nine points and a team-high seven boards Saturday. 

Dejan Kravic scored 18 points on 7-of-10 from the field to carry the load for the Red Raiders. Jaye Crockett chipped in with 15 points and five assists. 

Just like he did to open the first half, Fields went to work down low on the opening possession of the second period, connecting on a hook inside the paint, which propelled the scoreboard to 30-27. On the very next possession, Jarvis Ray threw home a thunderous dunk and the Frogs had stormed out of the locker room, now up 32-27. 

In all, the Frogs opened the half on a 12-5 run to take a 40-32 lead five minutes into the second stanza. Fields did almost all the damage, scoring six of the 12 points to open the half. 

Texas Tech would tie it at 40-40 a few moments later, but Anderson would have nothing of it, driving by his defending and scoring on a beautiful and-one with 11:59 to regain the TCU advantage at 43-40. The Red Raiders responded though to take a slight 45-43 lead midway through the half. 

With Texas Tech clinging to a 45-43 lead, Anderson tied the game at 45-45, scoring on a run-out after some great defensive pressure forced the Red Raiders into a turnover with a little over eight minutes remaining in the game. 

With the scoreboard reading 50-45 in slight favor of TTU, Christian Gore was able to beat the shot clock from deep on one possession and then tie the game at 50-50, sinking two-straight at the charity stripe.  

The Frogs would continue to cut into the lead down the stretch time after time, but the Red Raiders were able to pull away in the closing minute at the charity stripe to ice the game. 

Fields got the Frogs going on the opening possession, powering home a layup off a rebound to give the Purple and White an early 2-0 lead. A few plays later, Brandon Parrish tickled the twine from deep and the Frogs were in business, now up 5-2. 

Ray would push it to 9-4 at about the 15-minute mark, making plays on both ends of the court. The senior denied a would-be pass on the defensive end and then crossed over his defender to find pay-dirt to increase the Frog advantage with 15:42 showing on the scoreboard. 

Texas Tech would bounce back to take an 11-9 lead off a 7-0 run before Parrish knocked down a triple from the corner to regain the Frog lead at the 12:31 mark of the opening frame of play. The two teams would go back and forth the next couple of trips until Anderson dropped a three-ball to give the Frogs an 18-15 advantage midway through.

The junior would continue to go to work down the stretch, draining another triple to make the scoreboard read 25-19 with 2:37 showing before intermission. In all, the Fort Worth native hit five-straight during the stretch and continued his offensive production in the closing seconds, scoring an old fashioned three-point play with seven seconds left to allow the Frogs to take a 28-27 lead into the break. 

TCU will return home to face Texas on Tuesday, Feb. 4, beginning at 7:00 p.m. CT.



  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago
Academics @TCUAASO
Baseball @TCU_Baseball
M Basketball @TCUBasketball
W Basketball @TCUWbasketball
Equestrian @TCUWEquestrian
Football @TCUFootball
M Golf @TCUMensGolf
Rifle @TCURifle
Swimming & Diving @TCUswimdive
Soccer @TCUSoccer
M Tennis @TCUMensTennis
W Tennis @TCUWomensTennis
Track & Field @TCUTrackField
Beach Volleyball @TCUBeachVB
Volleyball @TCUvolleyball