TCU Concludes Season With Loss To Maryland, 85-73

March 26, 2005

Final Stats

COLLEGE PARK, Md. (AP) - Nik Caner-Medley got Maryland back to Madison Square Garden.

Caner-Medley took charge down the stretch for the Terrapins, scoring eight of his 20 points in the final minutes to help pull out an 85-73 victory over TCU on Saturday and advance to the NIT semifinals for the first time since 1972.

Maryland (19-12) will meet South Carolina on Tuesday night.

"We're going to New York City, (and) I've never played in Madison Square Garden," Caner-Medley said. "It's always been a dream of mine to play there so it's going to be a good time."

Maryland coach Gary Williams felt the same way about playing in New York.

"Check who's won it, it's a big deal," Williams said about the NIT. "I'll never get too big to play in the NIT. I've seen some great games there."

Caner-Medley started the late charge on a driving jumper with just over three minutes left that gave Maryland a 71-68 lead. After a basket by Chris McCray, Caner-Medley hit a 3-pointer and three free throws for a 79-72 lead with 47.8 seconds left.

McCray made six free throws in the final minute as Maryland scored 16 of the game's final 21 points.

Five Maryland players scored in double figures, including Mike Jones and McCray, both of whom scored 18 points. Sterling Ledbetter turned in another strong effort at point guard, replacing the injured John Gilchrist (ankle/wrist) and getting two points, six assists and six rebounds.

Team officials said Gilchrist probably won't play Tuesday.

Travis Garrison added a double-double with 15 points and 10 rebounds. Garrison believes Maryland has played better as a team during its three NIT games, and that is a big reason the Terrapins advanced.

"It was a team effort, and everyone was clicking," Garrison said. "To go to New York is a good prize for us."

TCU (21-14) stayed close with its 3-point shooting. The Horned Frogs made 11-of-29 long-range shots - but made just one basket overall in the final 6:50 as the Terrapins clamped down defensively.



Corey Santee led TCU with 21 points while Nile Murry added 20.

The game featured several runs by both teams. Maryland used a 14-point first-half run to take a 41-30 lead and appeared in command.

But TCU answered with a 23-6 streak that gave it a 53-46 lead with 15:21 left. The Terrapins couldn't score for the first 4:08 of the second half but battled back after that dry spell.

The 3-point shooting of Santee and Murry kept TCU close early. Santee made five 3-pointers while Murry added three more. The Horned Frogs made 9 of 18 3-pointers in the first half, but Maryland held a 44-43 lead at the break.

"The 3-point shots, that's about normal for us," TCU coach Neil Dougherty said. "We don't really have a low-post game. We still were able to slip in there a few times, but it wasn't enough."

  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago
Academics @TCUAASO
Baseball @TCU_Baseball
M Basketball @TCUBasketball
W Basketball @TCUWbasketball
Equestrian @TCUWEquestrian
Football @TCUFootball
M Golf @TCUMensGolf
Rifle @TCURifle
Swimming & Diving @TCUswimdive
Soccer @TCUSoccer
M Tennis @TCUMensTennis
W Tennis @TCUWomensTennis
Track & Field @TCUTrackField
Beach Volleyball @TCUBeachVB
Volleyball @TCUvolleyball