TCU Falls to SMU Friday Night, 69-61

Jarvis Ray (22)

Nov. 08, 2013

Box Score |  Notes |  USATSI Gallery  |  Photo Gallery  | Highlights

DALLAS, Texas - In a game that came down to the final minutes, TCU came up just short Friday night in its season-opener, falling to SMU at the American Airlines Center, 69-61.

The Horned Frogs appeared to be well on their way to capturing their first win of the season Friday, jumping out to a 36-30 lead during the opening stages of the second half off a 6-0 run, but in the end couldn't make enough plays down the stretch despite time and time again forcing the Mustangs into several tough shots and creating 11 steals on the night. TCU, who trailed by only three with 3:40 left to go on the contest, time and time again chipped away at the SMU lead, but couldn't get over the hump.

Between the end of the first half and the beginning of the second half, TCU began to settle down and gain its composure on both ends of the court. In all, the Frogs closed the opening frame of play on a 10-2 run following a nine-point lead by the Mustangs at the 7:29 mark. During the stretch, TCU turned up its defensive intensity, limiting SMU to a 1-for-10 showing from the floor, while forcing four turnovers.  

On the night, freshman Brandon Parrish carried the Frogs, scoring a game-high 13 points, while Kyan Anderson and Jarvis Ray both chipped in with nine points apiece, respectively. Freshman Karviar Shepherd came up just short of tallying his first career double-double with an eight-point, eight-board outing Friday.

SMU was led on the night by Nic Moore's 13-point effort on 4-of-11 from the field. Ryan Manuel was also in double-figures, scoring 12 points, while Keith Frazier totaled 11 points on 4-of-7 from the field.

Parrish got the Frogs, who shot almost 90 percent from the charity stripe Friday, rolling right out of the gates in the second half, ripping the nets from deep to give TCU a 32-30 advantage on the opening possession. On the very next trip down the court, Ray went to work, turning his defender and finger rolling in a jumper. By the time Shepherd connected on a layup two minutes into the period, TCU had opened the second frame of play on a 6-0 run, which brought the Frog lead to 36-30.

The two teams went back and forth the next couple of trips until Charles Hill Jr. found the bottom of the net at the 16:23 mark to push the Purple and White advantage to 41-36.

The Mustangs would continue to battle though, retaking the lead at 47-41 on an 11-5 run before Shepherd calmly stepped to the line at hit back-to-back free throws to stop the SMU run.

With the scoreboard reading 52-43 in slight favor of the Mustangs, Anderson went back to work, draining a jumper at the midway point to inch the Frogs closer. On the next possession, the Frogs got defensive as freshman Michael Williams stole the rock on one end and then watched as Hill Jr. connected on a floater inside the lane to push the scoreboard to 52-47 at the 7:37 mark.

Christian Gore then got into the act, tickling the twine from deep at the six-minute mark which pulled the Frogs within four at 54-50, but SMU responded with a jumper on the other end before Gore knocked down one of two at the charity stripe. 

SMU pushed it to 58-51 a few moments later, but TCU would not back down as the Frogs scored four-straight including a run-out layup by Ray that ignited the crowd and made the scoreboard read 58-55 with only 4:38 showing on the clock.  

The Purple and White, who made it a three-point game with 3:40 left, would pull within 67-61 down the stretch off a couple of free throws, but it wasn't enough as TCU fell to SMU in its season-opener at the American Airlines Center.

SMU jumped out to an early 9-0 lead, but Anderson ended the mini-run, connecting from deep off an assist from Parrish. A few plays later, the Frogs appeared to find a groove as Hudson Price found the bottom of the net from long-range to bring TCU within 10-6, but the Mustangs responded with a three ball of their own plus a foul to push the score to 14-6 at the 14:54 mark.

With SMU up 21-6 midway through the opening frame of play, Ray and Parrish sparked the Horned Frogs on an 11-0 run, catching on fire from behind the arc. Parrish did most of the damage as the freshman dropped in back-to-back triples at the 10-minute mark to bring the score to 21-17 in slight favor of the Mustangs. During the stretch, the Arlington native scored eight of the Frogs 11 points.

The freshmen duo of Parrish and Williams carried the Frogs into halftime, scoring four-straight to make the scoreboard read 30-27, which included a beautiful tear dropper in the lane by Williams with 1:18 showing on the clock. Late in the half, Gore buried a jumper in the corner to bring the Horned Frog deficit to one at the half at 30-29.

TCU will return home Tuesday, Nov. 12 to take on Longwood at Daniel-Meyer Coliseum. Tip-off is set for 7:00 p.m. CT and will be shown on FOX Sports Southwest +.



  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago
Academics @TCUAASO
Baseball @TCU_Baseball
M Basketball @TCUBasketball
W Basketball @TCUWbasketball
Equestrian @TCUWEquestrian
Football @TCUFootball
M Golf @TCUMensGolf
Rifle @TCURifle
Swimming & Diving @TCUswimdive
Soccer @TCUSoccer
M Tennis @TCUMensTennis
W Tennis @TCUWomensTennis
Track & Field @TCUTrackField
Beach Volleyball @TCUBeachVB
Volleyball @TCUvolleyball