Horned Frogs Fall to Longwood Tuesday Night

Jarvis Ray (22)

Jarvis Ray (22)

Nov. 12, 2013

Final Stats | Quotes | Notes | Highlights

FORT WORTH, Texas - TCU took a lead midway through the second half Tuesday night, but eventually fell to Longwood at Daniel-Meyer Coliseum, 82-79.

Trailing 78-74 with 21.9 showing on the clock, the Horned Frogs forced a turnover and then watched as freshman Brandon Parrish buried a three ball to pull the Frogs within one at 78-77. After a late free throw by the Lancers' Leron Fisher, junior Kyan Anderson tied the game at 79-79 with 7.1 seconds left and the Frogs appeared to be on their way to forcing overtime. Longwood had other ideas though as Lucas Woodhouse nailed a deep trey with 1.7 seconds left to escape the DMC with an 82-79 victory.

It was a tale of two halves for the Frogs (0-2) Tuesday night as the Purple and White used a 13-0 run to open the second half to regain their composure and eventually take the lead at the 8:43 mark on a Michael Williams triple. In the end though, the Frogs, who shot 60 percent from the field in the second half, couldn't hold on down the stretch despite forcing the Lancers into 16 turnovers.

TCU was led on the night by Anderson's 17 points on 5-of-10 from the field, which included a 14-point effort in the second period on 5-of-7 from the floor. Senior Jarvis Ray and Parrish chipped in with 15 and 13 points, respectively. Williams rounded out the Horned Frogs double-digit scores with an 11-point outing.

Longwood, now 1-1 on the season, was carried by Tristan Carey who netted 31 points Tuesday. He did most of his damage from deep, going 7-of-12 from behind the arc. Karl Ziegler also had a solid night, scoring 14 points on 7-of-10 from the field. 

TCU came out of the gates swinging in the second half as Ray threw down a thunderous dunk on the opening possession of the period. The senior then found Karviar Shepherd inside the paint at the 18:40 mark and watched as the Dallas native connected on a tough three-point play to make the scoreboard read 40-32.

By the time Anderson drove the lane and found the bottom of the net, the Frogs were in the midst of a 13-0 run to tie the game at 40-40 during early stages of the second half. In all, TCU's intense defensive pressure did most of the damage, as the Frogs didn't allow Longwood to score from the field until the 16:09 mark of the second frame of play.

With the scoreboard reading 45-40 in slight favor of the Lancers, Anderson went back to work five minutes in, scoring on a running jumper, but Longwood answered with a layup on the other end to bring the score to 47-42.

The two teams would go back and forth the next couple of trips, but Williams would split two defenders and connect on a finger roll at the 10:50 mark to pull the Frogs within 52-47 at the halfway point. On the very next possession, Parrish tickled the twine from deep and TCU was within two at 52-50, but Longwood continued to battle, scoring a layup on the other end. 

A triple by Williams with 8:32 showing on the scoreboard gave TCU a 55-54 lead, but once again the Lancers responded with yet another timely bucket to go back on top by one. Christian Gore, who seemed to spark the Frogs throughout the second half, regained the TCU lead on the next trip, but it was short lived as Longwood bounced back to pull back on top at 61-59. 

With the scoreboard reading 61-61 at the 5:14 mark, Gore calmly stepped to the line and cashed in on two-straight, which regained the Frog lead, but Carey drilled one of his seven trey balls from the corner to recapture the Longwood advantage at 64-63.

The two teams continued to battle down the stretch and the Frogs pulled within one twice in the closing seconds, but couldn't get off a final shot following Woodhouse's deep three. 

Longwood jumped out to a 9-0 lead early, but Ray ended the run, banking home a jumper five minutes into the opening frame of play to pull the Frogs within seven. A few plays later, Shepherd went to work down low and TCU continued to chip away at the Lancer lead, bringing the score to 12-6 with a little over 13 minutes to go in the period. 

With the scoreboard reading 19-10 in slight favor of Longwood, Parrish tickled the twine from the deep corner to ignite the Frogs and push the scoreboard to 19-13 midway through the first period. Ray then proceeded to score on a running jumper at the 9:08 mark and the Frogs were off and running, trailing by only four at 19-15. 

The 5-0 run was short lived though as Longwood recaptured the momentum at 25-15 in the closing minutes of the first half. Anderson put a halt to the Lancer attack, drilling three-straight at the charity stripe to move the Frogs within 25-18 with a little over six minutes to go. Shepherd would keep the offensive attack going a few moments later, draining a deep jumper to make the score 25-20 at the 5:17 mark.

The two teams would go back and forth down the stretch, but Longwood was able to stretch its lead to 40-27 at the break despite an old fashioned three-point play by Charles Hill Jr. with 25.4 seconds to go in the period. 

TCU returns to action Tuesday, Nov. 19 against Abilene Christian. Start time in the DMC is set for 7:00 p.m. CT and will be shown live on FOX Sports Southwest +.



    Cook Children's Albertsons
    Pepsi American Airlines