Horned Frogs Down Washington State Sunday

Kyan Anderson (5)

Nov. 24, 2013

Box Score |  Notes

  1 2 F
 TCU 36 28 64
 WSU 25 37 62

Quick Stats
 Points 64 62
 Rebounds 34 24
 Assists 11 13
 Blocks 1 2
 Steals 4 5
 FG Pct. 54.5% 36.5%

Stat Leaders
 TCU Player Points Reb. Ast. Blks.
Amric Fields 16 7 0 1
Kyan Anderson 16 2 4 0
 WSU Player Points Reb. Ast. Blks.
DaVonte Lacy 18 3 3 0
D.J. Shelton 9 11 3 0

PULLMAN, Wash. - In his first game in over a year, junior Amric Fields led TCU to an exciting 64-62 victory over Washington State Sunday night at Beasley Coliseum.

Fields, who put an exclamation point on his return with a game-saving block with two second left in the game, made his presence felt from the moment he stepped onto the court Sunday. The junior, who hadn't played since last November, entered the contest at the 16:06 mark of the opening frame of play and the Frogs proceeded to go on a 14-0 run. During the run, Fields, who tied his previous career-high with seven boards Sunday, scored seven of TCU's 14 points and allowed the Purple and White to simply stifle the Cougars on the defensive end of the court. WSU didn't score for over 10 minutes of action during the stretch and couldn't handle the Frogs relentless pressure, going 0-for-14 from the field.

With Fields stealing the show in the first half, fellow junior Kyan Anderson put the finishing touches on a game that saw several momentum changes and improved the Horned Frogs overall record to 2-2 on the young season. With 14 seconds left and the game tied at 62-62, Anderson calmly stepped to the line and knocked down both free throws to secure TCU's second-straight victory on the season and first win in the all-time series since 2002.

On the night, Fields scored a season-high 16 points on 7-of-9 from the field, including 2-of-3 from behind the arc. Anderson, who closed out the game scoring eight of the Frogs final 12 points, also chipped in with 16 points on 5-of-8 from the field, which included going 6-of-7 from the charity stripe. Senior Jarvis Ray rounded out TCU's double-digit scorers Sunday, scoring 16 points on 6-of-8 from the floor. With his 16-point outing, Ray posted his third-straight double-digit scoring output this season.

"It felt really good to be back out on the court with all my brothers tonight," said Fields. "This is like a family and it ate me up inside not being able to help them last year and in the first couple of games. When I learned that I was going to be able to play today, I just wanted to leave it all on the court and help my team. I haven't played basketball at that high of level of competition for over a year and its been killing me inside. Tonight, I just tried to capture the moment and help my team as much as I could."

Not to be outdone, the Frogs had several play pivotal roles in TCU owning the glass Sunday night as Christian Gore and Karviar Shepherd both tallied a team-high eight boards apiece, respectively. For Gore, it was a new career-high in 34 minutes of action.

The Horned Frogs, who out-rebounded the Cougars to the tune of 34-24 Sunday, simply dominated WSU down low, outscoring Washington State inside the paint, 34-10. The Frogs shot 54.5 percent from the floor, while limiting the Cougars to 36.5 from the field.

Washington State, who trailed by as many as 13 Sunday, was led on the night by DaVonte Lacy's game-high 18 points. Royce Woolridge was also in double-figures with 13 points. For a majority of the night, WSU was able to stay in the game thanks in large part to some timely three-pointers, most of which came from Lacy who nailed five from behind the arc.

The two teams went back and forth the first couple trips of the second half, but WSU was able to cut it to eight before Ray outfought a Cougar and found the bottom of the bucket four minutes into the second half.

TCU would push it to 40-33 before Fields went back to work down low, scoring on a turn-around jumper at the 13:22 mark. The junior then stole the show a few plays later, rising up and tipping in a thunderous dunk to make the score 44-36 at the 11:33 mark.

WSU would not go away though as they nailed three-straight triples to take the lead at 45-44 midway through the second frame of play before Anderson regained the Frog momentum with a runner at the 9:42 mark.

With the game knotted at 48-48, Anderson calmly stepped to the line and drilled two-straight before Gore threaded the needle and found Shepherd down low to make the scoreboard read 52-48 in favor of TCU.

A few trips later, Fields rattled home a bucket to give the Purple and White a 56-52 advantage, but Washington State cut into the Frog deficit on the other end to pull within one at 56-55 with a little over four minutes remaining in the game.

Anderson would have nothing of it though, connecting on a tough layup to give the Frogs a three-point advantage down the stretch.

TCU held a 60-59 advantage when Anderson swiped a Cougar on the defensive end and stole the rock. The junior leader then calmly stepped to the line and knocked down two-straight to give the Frogs a 62-59 lead with 28 seconds left.

Following a triple by Washington State's Lacy, Anderson promptly drove to the hole and drew the foul on the very next possession. The junior put the finishing touches on TCU's victory Sunday, making both of his free throws. On the other end, Washington State tried one last time, but Fields swatted away Lacy's layup to secure the Frog second-straight victory.

Ray pulled the Frogs within one at 3-2 early on, scoring on a running layup. A few plays later, Gore attacked the lane and found Shepherd down low for the bucket with 16:06 to go in the opening frame.

In his first action in over a year, Fields immediately added a spark to the Frogs offensive flow, tying the game at 6-6 at the 14:11 mark by blowing by his defender and attacking the rim for two. The junior then proceeded to tickle the twine from the corner and the Frogs were in business, now up 9-6. By the time Anderson found Ray for a thunderous dunk, the Purple and White were off and running, now up 15-6 at the midway point of the first period.

Fields continued his offensive attack at the 10:16 mark, driving by his defender and laying it in to continue TCU's impressive 14-0 run. During the run, the Frogs' defense did most of the damage, limiting WSU without a point for over 10 minutes of action. The Purple and White's relentless defensive pressure forced the Cougars to shoot a blistering 0-for-14 from the field during the run.

With TCU up 21-11, Ray elevated over his defender and cashed in on a jumper from the corner to push the Frog advantage to 12 with 5:36 showing on the clock. A few plays later, Anderson froze his defender with a look away and scooped it in to increase the TCU lead, but Washington State responded with two trey balls late in the period to pull within 27-20 with 3:31 showing on the scoreboard.

The two teams would go back and forth down the stretch until Shepherd found a cutting Gore for an easy layup, which propelled the Purple and White back up by 10 in the closing minute. The Frogs took a 36-25 lead into the break Sunday afternoon thanks to a late basket by Gore.

TCU will remain on the road when it travels to Anchorage, Alaska for the Carrs/Safeway Great Alaskan Shootout. The Frogs will take on host Alaska-Anchorage on Wednesday, Nov. 27 at 1:00 a.m.



  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago
Academics @TCUAASO
Baseball @TCU_Baseball
M Basketball @TCUBasketball
W Basketball @TCUWbasketball
Equestrian @TCUWEquestrian
Football @TCUFootball
M Golf @TCUMensGolf
Rifle @TCURifle
Swimming & Diving @TCUswimdive
Soccer @TCUSoccer
M Tennis @TCUMensTennis
W Tennis @TCUWomensTennis
Track & Field @TCUTrackField
Beach Volleyball @TCUBeachVB
Volleyball @TCUvolleyball