Jan. 10, 2017
Jan. 11, 2017 | 7 PM CT | Austin, Texas | Erwin Center
TCU Horned Frogs
FORT WORTH, Texas - TCU (12-3, 1-2 Big 12) will look to even its Big 12 record and pick up its first win in Austin in 30 years when it plays at Texas (7-8, 1-2 Big 12) Wednesday.
The game will be broadcast on the Longhorn Network with Lowell Galindo (Play-By-Play), Lance Blanks (Color) and Alex Loab (Reporter) calling the action live. The game can also be heard on KLIF AM 570, KTCU, FrogVision or via TuneIn Radio.
Texas is coming off a 79-70 loss at Iowa State on Saturday. The Longhorns are led by sophomore guard Tevin Mack, who is averaging a team-high 15.2 points per game. UT is 7-2 at home this season and sports a 21-5 record in the Erwin Center under second-year head coach Shaka Smart. Texas has reached the 20-win mark 16 times in the last 17 seasons following a 20-13 record last year.
TCU and Texas will be meeting for the 171st time with the Longhorns owning a 107-63 advantage in the all-time series. The two teams split last season's series with each team winning on its home floor. The Frogs have lost 14 consecutive games in Austin, including a 71-54 loss last season on Jan. 26. TCU last won at UT by the score of 70-54 on Feb. 18, 1987.
Prior to its loss to West Virginia, TCU's 12-2 start had equaled the third-best start in program history, trailing only the 1951-52 (13-1) and 2014-15 (13-1 squads). The program's best record through 15 games belongs to the 1951-52 team, which was 14-1. TCU needs one more win to surpass last season's win total of 12 (12-21) and match last season's Big 12 win total of two (2-16). By defeating Arkansas State on Dec. 3, head coach Jamie Dixon became the first first-year head coach in program history to start his career with an 8-0 record. The Horned Frogs are 10-1 at home this year.
HUNG AROUND FOR THE WIN
In TCU's 60-57 win over Oklahoma on Jan. 3, the Horned Frogs did not take a lead in the game until a pair of Karviar Shepherd free throws gave them a 56-54 lead with 3:38 remaining in the game. Shepherd was 3-of-3 from the field and 2-of-2 at the free-throw line, totaling eight points and five rebounds to go with a key blocked shot with 1:34 left. He scored four of TCU's final nine points.
TCU recorded 13 blocked shots in its 60-57 win over Oklahoma on Jan. 3. The total was tied for the third-most in school history and marked its highest since a school-record 16 versus Rice on March 3, 2000. TCU's 5.0 blocks per game ranks fourth in the Big 12 and 46th in the NCAA. Vladimir Brodziansky ranks second in the Big 12 and 32nd in the nation with 2.2 blocks per game.
SPREADING THE WEALTH
Sophomore Alex Robinson tied a career-high at SMU by dishing out a season-high 10 assists. His 10 assists were the most by a TCU student-athlete since former Frog Hank Thorns dished out 11 at Air Force in 2011. He led the Frogs with 18 points and six assists versus OU. He has dished out at least four assists in 13 of TCU's 15 games. Robinson's 5.2 assists per game ranks third in the Big 12.
BUILDING A BENCH
TCU has out-scored its opponent off the bench in 13 of the 15 games this season. For the season, TCU's bench has outscored its opponents' bench by a combined score of 508-266 (an average of 33.8 - 17.7 per game).
GRAB THE ROCK
Junior Kenrich Williams, who recorded his fifth double-double of the season against Kansas with 11 points and 11 rebounds, posted a career-high 18 rebounds in TCU's victory over UNLV. He has had 10 or more boards in five of the last nine games. His 18 boards were the most since fellow teammate Karviar Shepherd posted 19 a year ago against Delaware State. His 18 rebounds are the most in a single-game in the Big 12 Conference this season and is tied for the 16th highest in the NCAA.
- TCU and Texas will meet for the 171st time on Wednesday.
- The Frogs are looking for their first Big 12 road win since Jan. 17, 2014-15, a 62-42 win at Texas Tech.
- Two of TCU's three losses have been to top 10-ranked teams in No. 3 Kansas and No. 7 West Virginia.
- TCU is 12-1 against unranked opponents.
- The Frogs are 1-2 away from home this season.
- TCU currently ranks No. 31 in assists (17.0) in the NCAA and No. 37 in steals (8.1).
- Kenrich Williams leads the Big 12 with 9.5 rebounds per game.
- Brandon Parrish played in his 111th game last Friday and is a 2017 Allstate NABC Good Works Team® nominee.
- Parrish needs to play in only eight more games to move into the top-10 all-time in games played in school history.
- Parrish has made at least one 3-pointer in six of his last seven games.
- Karviar Shepherd is No. 6 all-time in career starts at TCU with 95. He played in his 100th game against Arkansas State.
- Shepherd has tallied 594 career rebounds and needs only 106 to become only the 10th player all-time to capture 700 boards.
- Alex Robinson has recorded 14 games of five or more assists in his career.
- Robinson has averaged 15 points in the three Big 12 games, which ranks 10th in the conference.
- Robinson, who was named to the all-tournament team in Vegas, has led TCU in assists 10 times this season.
- Williams' 18 boards are the most in the Big 12 Conference this season and tied for the 16th most in the NCAA.
- Williams ranks No. 19 in the NCAA and No. 1 in the Big 12 in offensive rebounds with a 3.6 average on the season.
- This season, Williams has one more rebound (124), than points (123).
- Vladimir Brodziansky ranks second in the Big 12 with 2.2 blocks per game.
- Brodziansky recorded a career-high 28 points against Kansas marking his second 20+ scoring outing this season.
- Brodziansky is one of two players averaging double-digits in scoring with 11.4 this season.