Jan. 19, 2018
Jan. 20, 2018 | 3 p.m. | Manhattan, Kan. | Bramlage Coliseum (12,528)
#24 TCU Horned Frogs
Kansas State Wildcats
FORT WORTH, Texas – No. 24/25 TCU (14-4, 2-4) plays at Kansas State (13-5, 3-3), in a battle of the two-best shooting teams in the Big 12 Conference, on Saturday at 3 p.m.
The game at Bramlage Coliseum will be televised on ESPNU and can be heard on 88.7 KTCU FM and 570 KLIF AM as well as FrogVision and the TuneIn app.
In conference play only, Kansas State leads the Big 12 shooting 49.2 percent from the field. TCU is second at 47.3 percent. The Horned Frogs are coming off a 96-73 win over Iowa State Wednesday where they shot 60.3 percent from the field.
- Alex Robinson dished out a school-record 17 assists against the Cyclones. It was the most ever in a Big 12 game.
- The Frogs had a season-high 29 assists against ISU and four turnovers, the fewest since 1993.
- TCU has not had more than 13 turnovers over the last nine games, an average of 9.9 per game.
- Sophomore Jaylen Fisher (right knee) has been ruled out for the season. He was averaging 12.3 points and 5.4 assists.
- While KSU will be wearing their throwback uniforms from the 1973-82 seasons, TCU will wear its FROGS script uniforms, first worn in 1949-50.
- TCU’s four losses this season are by a combined 11 points. All the losses were against teams with a top 41 RPI.
- The Frogs are ranked for the eighth consecutive week. They are No. 24 in the AP and No. 25 in the USA Today poll.
- TCU was ranked as high as No. 10 in the AP Top 25, which was its highest ranking in school history.
- TCU is 46-19 all-time as a ranked team, including a 23-4 record at home and 18-8 on the road.
- TCU’s 13-2 start to the season was the best in school history since a 13-2 record during the 1933-34 season.
- TCU leads the Big 12 Conference and ranks second in the NCAA with 20.4 assists per game.
- TCU ranks among the national leaders in assist turnover ratio (3rd, 1.68), field goal percentage (10th, 50.8), rebounding margin (32nd, +6.8), scoring (5th, 88.6) and 3-point percentage (11th, 41.4).
- TCU ranks fourth in offensive efficiency, the best in the Big 12, according to KenPom.com.
- Kenrich Williams has recorded seven double-doubles and leads the team with 15.1 points and 9.3 rebounds this season.
- Williams is one of five players averaging double-figures. There are six TCU players averaging 9.4 points or more.
- Williams has scored in double figures in each of his last 14 games. He is 43 points away from 1,000 for his career.
- Williams ranks ninth all-time at TCU in career rebounds (739) and tied for seventh in career steals (125).
- Vladimir Brodziansky ranks fourth all-time at TCU in career blocks (147) and 20th in career points (1,146).
About the Opponent
- Kansas State is coming off an 87-69 win over No. 4 Oklahoma Tuesday, three days after losing 73-72 at No. 12 Kansas.
- The Wildcats are led by junior Barry Brown’s 17.0 points per game, which ranks fourth in the Big 12 Conference.
- Junior forward Dean Wade averages 15.3 points and leads the team with 6.5 rebounds per game.
About the Series
- Kansas State leads the all-time series 11-5.
- TCU won last season’s meeting in Manhattan, 86-80 in overtime. JD Miller led the Frogs with 18 points and Kenrich Williams hit two 3-pointers in overtime on the way to 11 points. Williams also had 10 rebounds for a double-double.
- KSU won the last meeting, 75-74, in Fort Worth on March 1, 2017.
- TCU will wear its white FROGS (script) uniforms on Saturday at Kansas State. The “new” uniforms were worn twice last season, first in a 78-63 win over Texas on Feb. 4 and again in a 61-60 loss to West Virginia on Feb. 25. It will be the first time TCU wears the uniforms on the road.
- The original FROGS script uniforms debuted during the 1949-50 season and were last worn during 1963-64.
Fisher Out for the Season
- Jaylen Fisher suffered a torn meniscus in his right knee during practice on Jan. 16, one day prior to TCU’s game with Iowa State. He had successful surgery on Jan. 18 and it is expected to take 3-4 months to recover.
- At the time of his injury, Fisher was fifth in the Big 12 with 5.4 assists. He was third on the team with 12.1 points per game and had just come off a career-high 22 points at No. 9 Oklahoma.
- Injuries are nothing new for the sophomore guard. Fisher tore the meniscus in his left knee on Aug. 3, five days before the team embarked on its foreign tour to Australia. Fisher broke his left wrist during the Frogs’ first NIT game against Fresno State on March 15. TCU won the next four games to win the NIT.
School-Record 17 Assists
- Alex Robinson’s 17 assists against Iowa State on Jan. 17 were a school record. It broke the old record of 16, held by Greedy Daniels (Dec. 9, 2000) and Prince Fowler (Dec. 12, 1998 and Feb. 11, 1999).
- It was the most ever in a Big 12 Conference game. It broke the old record of 15, held by six people. The last person to record 15 was Jawun Evans of Oklahoma State on March 4, 2017 vs. Kansas.
- It was the fourth most ever by player from the Big 12 Conference. Oklahoma’s Trae Young set the record with 22 this season against Northwestern.
- It was the third-most by an NCAA Division I player this season.
- Robinson’s previous high was 11, which he last reached against Georgia Tech (3/30/17) last season in the NIT championship game.
TCU had a season-high 29 assists to just four turnovers against Iowa State on Jan. 17. It was the fewest turnovers in a game for the Horned Frogs since four turnovers at Texas Tech on Jan. 30, 1993.
Six different TCU players have scored at least 20 points in a game, which ties with seven other teams for the most in the country. Those players and the number of 20 point games they’ve had are: Brodziansky - 5, Fisher - 4, Miller - 2, Williams - 4, Bane - 1, Robinson - 1.
Kenrich From Three
Kenrich Williams was 7-of-11 from 3-point range during his 27-point outpouring at Texas on Jan. 10. It was the most 3-pointers in a game by a TCU player since Hank Thorns hit eight threes against UNLV on Feb. 14, 2012. Williams’ 3-point production and accuracy has increased since his first year at TCU. He’s made at least one three in 15 of his last 17 games.
Sophomore (2014-15) > 11-31 (35.5)
Junior (2016-17) > 45-124 (36.3)
Senior (2017-18) > 30-67 (45.5)
Shooting and Scoring
- TCU ranks first in the Big 12 and 10th in the NCAA in field goal shooting (50.8%).
- TCU ranks first in the Big 12 and 11th in the NCAA in 3-point shooting (41.4%).
- Over 60 percent of TCU’s field goals (575) were assisted (367), a percentage of 63.2. The Frogs rank first in the Big 12 and second in the NCAA in assists per game (20.4).
- TCU’s offensive efficiency ranks fourth at 121.9 according to KenPom.com.
- TCU has three among the top 10 in shooting percentage in the Big 12... 3. Vladimir Brodziansky - 61.9, 9. Kouat Noi - 55.2, 10. Desmond Bane - 53.8.
- TCU has three among the top seven in 3-point field goal percentage in the Big 12... 3. Desmond Bane - 48.1, 6. Kouat Noi - 46.4, 7. Kenrich Williams - 55.5.
- TCU has scored over 90 points eight times this season. It’s the most times the Frogs have scored 90 or more in a season since the 2001-02 season when they did it 13 times.
700 Rebound Club
Kenrich Williams is one of 10 players in TCU history with 700 career rebounds. The senior is in 10th on the all-time list with 739 boards. He is the first person since 1998 to join the 700-club. For more on the list, see page nine.
Senior Vladimir Brodziansky is the 34th member of the 1,000 point club. At 1,147 points, the Slovakian is 18th on the all-time scoring list. Senior Kenrich Williams is 43 points from 1,000 for his career. Williams could become the eighth player in TCU history with 1,000 points and 700 rebounds. Both are in their third seasons with the Horned Frogs. For more on the list, see page nine.
TCU’s strength of schedule is ranked No. 13 by the NCAA through games completed on Jan. 18.