Jan. 25, 2018
Jan. 27, 2018 | 3 p.m. | Nashville, Tenn. | Memorial Gymnasium (14,316)
TCU Horned Frogs
FORT WORTH, Texas – TCU (15-5) will take a break in the Big 12 Conference schedule to play in the Big 12/SEC Challenge at Vanderbilt (7-13) Saturday at 3 p.m.
The game at Memorial Gymnasium will be televised on ESPN2 and can be heard on 570 KLIF AM as well as FrogVision and the TuneIn app.
TCU is 3-1 all-time in the Big 12/SEC Challenge with the lone loss coming last season, 88-80 to Auburn.
- It will be Jamie Dixon's first time coaching in Memorial Gymnasium, where the team benches are along the baseline.
- TCU is 1-3 in road games. It's only win an 81-78 (OT) win at Baylor. The three losses are by a combined 11 points.
- Three of TCU's road games have gone into overtime.
- The annual Suits And Sneakers Week runs Jan. 22-28 and raises awareness about the American Cancer Society. Jamie Dixon and the TCU coaching staff will wear white Kobe AD's.
- The Frogs are coming off an 82-73 win over No. 7 West Virginia on their first-ever Big Monday game.
- Vladimir Brodziansky leads TCU with 15.4 points per game and is coming off his second double-double of the season.
- TCU’s five losses this season are by a combined 16 points, an average of 3.2 points per game.
- The Frogs were ranked for the eight consecutive weeks. They are receiving votes in both the AP and the USA Today polls.
- TCU was ranked as high as No. 10 in the AP Top 25, which was its highest ranking in school history.
- TCU leads the Big 12 Conference and ranks second in the NCAA with 20.0 assists per game.
- TCU ranks among the national leaders in assist turnover ratio (6th, 1.61), field goal percentage (14th, 50.0), rebounding margin (23rd, +6.8), scoring (6th, 87.3) and 3-point percentage (19th, 40.6).
- TCU ranks fifth in offensive efficiency, the best in the Big 12, according to KenPom.com.
- Kenrich Williams has recorded nine double-doubles and is averaging 14.7 points and a team-best 9.4 rebounds this season.
- Williams is one of five players averaging double-figures. There are six TCU players averaging 9.4 points or more.
- Williams is 23 points away from becoming the 35th person with 1,000 points in his TCU career.
- Williams ranks ninth all-time at TCU in career rebounds (763) and tied for seventh in career steals (125).
- Vladimir Brodziansky ranks fourth all-time at TCU in career blocks (147) and 20th in career points (1,146).
- TCU’s 13-2 start to the season was the best in school history since a 13-2 record during the 1933-34 season.
- Sophomore Jaylen Fisher (right knee) was ruled out for the season on Jan. 16. He was averaging 12.3 points and 5.4 assists.
- TCU was picked to finish third in the Big 12 after finishing tied for seventh last season. Both were program bests.
- TCU returned its top six scorers from last season’s team that went 24-15, finished tied for seventh in the Big 12 and won the NIT, including all five starters. It’s the first time Jamie Dixon has had a team with every starter returning from the year before.
- TCU returned 79 percent of its scoring and 79 percent of its rebounding from last season.
- One season after winning its first postseason tournament, TCU will try to make the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 1998. Since 1985, 58 percent of the teams that won the NIT made the NCAA Tournament the following season.
About the Opponent
- Vanderbilt is coming off a 67-62 loss at No. 22 Tennessee on Tuesday.
- The Commodores are led by senior forward Jeff Roberson, who averages a team-best 15.4 points and 7.3 rebounds.
- Among the six newcomers is freshman Saben Lee, who leads the team with 3.3 assists per game.
About the Series
- Vanderbilt leads the all-time series 4-1, including a 3-0 advantage in Nashville.
- The last meeting came on Dec. 18, 2004 and was a 78-55 win by the Commodores.
TCU in the Big 12/SEC Challenge
TCU has a 3-1 record all-time in the Big 12/SEC Challenge. Last season, Auburn defeated TCU, 88-80, on Jan. 28, 2017. Past results include TCU over Tennessee, 75-63, on Jan. 30, 2016, TCU over Ole Miss, 66-54, on Dec. 4, 2014 and TCU over Mississippi State, 71-61, on Dec. 5, 2013. The Big 12 won the Challenge in the first three seasons and the leagues split the 10 games in 2017. Big 12 teams are 25-15 (.625) in the Big 12/SEC Challenge since it began and have posted a 53-35 (.603) record in the last two conference challenge series (vs. Pac-10, SEC) dating back to 2007.
Big Monday = Big Win
TCU took advantage of its first Big Monday appearance with an 82-73 win over No. 7 West Virginia. Big Monday is ESPN’s signature college basketball telecast, which debuted in 1987. In front of an announced attendance of 7,368, including 1,510 students, the Horned Frogs defeated a ranked team at home for the first time in three seasons. It was TCU’s first win in the series with West Virginia (1-11).
- TCU trailed by as many as seven with 4:12 remaining in the first half and led by as many as 20 with 7:13 remaining in the game.
- Junior guard Alex Robinson had one of the best games of his career with a game-high 17 points and nine assists to go with a season-best seven rebounds while playing 39 minutes.
TCU’s five losses, all in Big 12 play, have come by five or fewer points (a total of 16 points). The Frogs’ last three regular-season losses of the 2016-17 season came by five or fewer points, so TCU’s last eight regular-season losses have come by a margin of five or less. In the 64 Big 12 losses prior to the 2016-17 season, Jamie Dixon’s first year, only six were by five or fewer points.
Robinson Without Fisher
The loss of Jaylen Fisher has translated to a bigger role for junior guard Alex Robinson. In the first 17 games of the season, Robinson averaged 7.4 points, 4.9 assists, 1.9 rebounds and 26.7 minutes per game. Since Fisher was ruled out for the season on Jan. 17, Robinson has averaged 12.7 points, 10.7 assists, 4.3 rebounds and 39.0 minutes over three games. Robinson has played 117 of a total 120 minutes in those three games.
Shooting and Scoring
- TCU ranks second in the Big 12 and sixth in the NCAA in scoring offense (87.3). TCU has not averaged 80 or more points per game in a season since the 2002-03 campaign where it averaged 80.4. Last year’s NIT championship team averaged 69.7 points.
- TCU ranks first in the Big 12 and 14th in the NCAA in field goal shooting (50.0%). TCU has never averaged 50 percent or better in a season.
- TCU ranks first in the Big 12 and 19th in the NCAA in 3-point shooting (40.6%).
- Over 60 percent of TCU’s field goals (624) were assisted (400), a percentage of 64.1. The Frogs rank first in the Big 12 and second in the NCAA in assists per game (20.0).
- TCU’s offensive efficiency ranks fifth at 121.0 according to KenPom.com.
- TCU has three among the top 11 in shooting percentage in the Big 12... 7. Vladimir Brodziansky - 58.2, 9. Kouat Noi - 55.0, 11. Desmond Bane - 52.8.
- TCU has three among the top 12 in 3-point field goal percentage in the Big 12... 1. Desmond Bane - 47.6, 5. Kouat Noi - 46.3, 12. Kenrich Williams - 41.7.
- TCU has scored over 90 points eight times this season. It’s the most times the Frogs have scored 90 or more in a season since the 2001-02 season when they did it 13 times.