Nov. 24, 2012
SOUTH PADRE ISLAND, Texas - TCU finishes off its appearance in the 2012 South Padre Island Invitational Saturday at 4 p.m. when it faces UAB at the South Padre Convention Centre. The matchup will be televised live nationally by CBS Sports Network.
TCU will look to regroup following its second loss of the year suffered Friday at the hands of Northwestern, 55-31. The Frogs will look to get their offense going after having scored fewer than 50 points in each of the last three games for the first time since the 1950-51 season, when they went four straight.
The meeting with the Blazers will be the ninth all-time between the two former conference rivals in Conference USA. UAB owns a 5-3 edge in games played between the teams.
Saturday's contest will be televised by CBS Sports Network featuring the broadcast tandem of Jason Knapp (play-by-play) and Steve Wolfe (analyst).
Radio coverage will be provided by the TCU-IMG Sports Network on both 1460 AM KCLE and 88.7 FM KTCU featuring Brian Estridge (play-by-play) and John Denton (analyst). Live stats will be available for free via GameTracker at GoFrogs.com, while the radio broadcast is also available online for FrogVision subscribers.
FROG QUICK NOTES
* TCU has held five of six opponents to an overall shooting rate below 40.0%
* TCU ranks No. 1 in the Big 12 and No. 3 in the NCAA in scoring defense (49.3 ppg). The squad is No. 23 in the NCAA in field-goal defense (35.5%).
* TCU has allowed fewer than 50 points four times in its six games. Its four previous efforts allowing fewer than 50 stretched back over 122 games to 2008.
* TCU has had five different leading scorers in its six games.
* TCU has outshot four of five opponents this season.
* Devonta Abron has led TCU in scoring and rebounds each of the last two games, also his only starts this season.
* TCU is looking to snap its first three-game streak scoring fewer than 50 points since 1950-51 (four straight).
* TCU's streak of 443 consecutive games with at least one 3-pointer came to an end vs. Northwestern. The streak, which ranked No. 3 in the Big 12, stretched back to a Nov. 22, 1997 home win over LIU-Brooklyn
* Jarvis Ray has scored a team-best 51 points after entering the season with only 62 career points in 39 games.
* Garlon Green is TCU's active leader in points (876), rebounds (377), 3-pointers (95), games played (103) and starts (58).
UAB enters Saturday's matchup with a 3-2 record following a Friday evening loss to Illinois State (77-65) on South Padre Island. The loss snapped a two-game winning streak that followed wins over common TCU opponents Navy (82-63) and Prairie View A&M (76-70). The squad's only other loss came on the road at Creighton (77-60).
First-year head coach Jerod Haase leads a squad that returns seven letterwinners and three starters from last year's edition that posted a 15-16 overall record and finished fifth in Conference USA with a 9-7 league mark.
Junior forward Rod Rucker tops the squad so far this season in scoring (15.0 ppg), rebounding (9.0 rpg) and blocked shots (1.2 bpg). Other players averaging double figures in scoring include junior forward Jordan Swing (13.8 ppg) and junior center Fahro Alihodzic (11.2 ppg). Senior guard Terence Jones is the team's top assist man (5.0 apg).
As a team, UAB averages scoring 77.6 points with an overall shooting percentage of 43.0%. The squad has dominated the glass to the tune of a +6.2 average rebounding edge, while it ranks No. 14 nationally in assist average (18.8 apg).
THE SERIES: TCU VS. UAB
Former Conference USA rivals, TCU and UAB have met eight previous times. The Blazers own a slim 5-3 edge. The two teams have met once previously at a neutral site, with TCU dropping a 69-62 decision in the first round of the Holiday Classic in Las Vegas, Nev., on Dec. 27, 1985. The Frogs took the last meeting by a 76-65 score in Fort Worth on Feb. 12, 2005.