Nov. 28, 2017
Nov. 29, 2017 | 8 PM | Fort Worth, Texas. | Schollmaier Arena (6,700)
#23 TCU Horned Frogs
FORT WORTH, Texas -- No. 23 TCU (6-0) will take the longest winning streak in the nation and an AP Top 25 ranking into Wednesday's 8 p.m. game against Belmont (4-3).
The game at Schollmaier Arena will be televised on FOX Sports Plus and can be heard on 88.7 KTCU FM as well as FrogVision and the TuneIn app.
The Horned Frogs are looking for their 12th consecutive win dating back to last season when they won five-straight games on the way to the NIT championship.
- Wednesday's game features TCU's Kenrich Williams (12.7 ppg., 10.2 rpg.) and Belmont's Dylan Windler (15.7 ppg., 11.6 rpg.), two of 29 players averaging a double-double nationally.
- TCU has won 11-straight games, the longest streak in the nation, dating back to last season. Its last loss was March 10, 2017 against Iowa State in the semifinals of the Big 12 Championships. TCU has also won 13 of its last 15 games.
- The Frogs are starting a three-game homestand after winning the Emerald Coast Classic on Saturday. Those three games are against team picked towards the top of their conference in Belmont (1st, OVC), Yale (2nd, Ivy), SMU (4th, AAC).
- TCU is ranked No. 23 in the AP Top 25, its first ranking in the poll since 2014. TCU was last ranked this high on Jan. 11, 1999 at No. 21. The Frogs have recieved votes in every poll this season.
- TCU is 38-16 all-time as a ranked team, including a 17-2 record at home.
- TCU has started the season 6-0 for the third time in the last four seasons. The Frogs started 13-0 in 2014 and 8-0 in 2016.
- TCU ranks among the national leaders in assists, field goal percentage and steals.
- After averaging 7.1 points as a freshman last season, Desmond Bane is averaging 13.8 points as a sophomore.
- Bane ranks No. 2 in the nation in 3-point percentage (62.5%) and No. 6 in field goal percentage (71.2%).
- TCU ranks 10th in the nation and second in the Big 12 with 19.8 assists per game.
- TCU is one of 29 unbeaten teams in the country.
- Vladimir Brodziansky is 45 blocks away from James Penny's school-record of 171 from 1995-98. Brodziansky currently ranks fifth in blocked shots with 128.
- TCU returned its top six scorers from last season's team that went 24-15, finished tied for seventh in the Big 12 and won the NIT, including all five starters. It's the first time Jamie Dixon has had a team with every starter returning from the year before.
- TCU returned 79 percent of its scoring and 79 percent of its rebounding from last season.
- One season after winning its first postseason tournament, TCU will try to make the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 1998. Since 1985, 58 percent of the teams that won the NIT made the NCAA Tournament the following season.
About the Opponent
- Belmont went 23-7 last season and won the Ohio Valley Conference regular season with a 15-1 record.
- The Bruins returned nine players including three starters from last season's team that fell in the second round of the NIT.
- Belmont has played in either the NCAA Tournament or NIT in each of the last seven years.
- The Bruins have wins over Middle Tennessee and Vanderbilt this season and were picked to win the OVC.
- Belmont is coming off losses to Providence (66-65) and Lipscomb (74-66).
- Amanze Egekeze leads the team in scoring at 18.3 points per game, the second-most in the Ohio Valley Conference.
About The Series
- It is the first meeting between TCU and Belmont.
- TCU is 5-2 all-time against current members of the Ohio Valley Conference. The Frogs defeated OVC member Tennessee Tech 100-63 on Nov. 13 this season.
Feels like the First Time
Belmont is the fifth team TCU will play this season for the first time in program history. With a first-time meeting with Yale coming up on Saturday, TCU will be facing six of its first eight opponents for the first time.
Since Jamie Dixon became the head coach at TCU, the Frogs have won three of the past four tournaments it's played in. TCU won the Global Sports Classic in Las Vegas with wins over UNLV and Washington (Nov. 25-26, 2016). TCU won the NIT with wins over Fresno State, Iowa, Richmond, UCF and Georgia Tech (March 15-30, 2017). The Frogs most recently won the Emerald Coast Classic in Niceville, Fla. with wins over New Mexico and St. Bonaventure (Nov. 24-25, 2017). The only tournament TCU did not win under Dixon was the 2017 Big 12 Championship where the Frogs fell to Iowa State in the semifinals after wins over Oklahoma and No. 1 Kansas.
Top 25 Ranking
TCU has earned an AP Top 25 ranking for the first time in three years, coming in at No. 23 on Nov. 27. The Horned Frogs were last ranked on Dec. 22, 2014, coming in at No. 25 after sporting an 11-0 record at the time. The No. 23 ranking is TCU's highest since Jan. 11, 1999 when the Frogs were ranked No. 21. TCU earned 133 points and joined four Big 12 Conference teams, No. 2 Kansas, No. 16 Baylor, No. 19 West Virginia and No. 22 Texas Tech, in this week's rankings. Texas and Oklahoma received votes as seven of the 10 Big 12 teams earned recognition in the poll.
As a ranked team, TCU is 38-16 all-time, including 17-2 at home. The last game the Frogs played as a ranked team, No. 25 TCU defeated Grambling State 80-39 on Dec. 22, 2014 before falling out of the poll the following week.
Nation's longest win streak
TCU boasts the nation's longest win streak, having won 11-straight games dating back to last season. The Frogs' last lost came on March 10, 2017, against Iowa State in the semifinals of the Big 12 Championship. As of Wednesday, that last loss was 265 days ago.
TCU's streak of 11 games is the third-longest in school history. TCU won the first 13 games of the 2014-15 season and won 14 straight during the 1987-88 season, Jamie Dixon's season year. The school record for consecutive games won is 16 set during the 1997-98 season.
Good in November
TCU has won 14-straight games in November, dating back to the 2015-16 season. Over the last three years, the Frogs have gone 23-2 in the month of November and was a perfect 7-0 last season as they won their first eight games of the season.
One of the newest KenPom stats is minutes continuity. What percentage of a team's minutes are played by the same player from last season to this season. TCU ranks 29th in continuity, the best in the Big 12, at 69.4 percent. The national average tends to be 50 percent.
All About Shooting
- Desmond Bane ranks No. 2 in field goal efficiency (89.5%) and No. 2 in true shooting percentage (86.0%) according to KenPom.com.
- Bane ranks second in the Big 12 in field goal shooting (72.1%) and second in the Big 12 in 3-point shooting, 15-of-24 (62.5).
- Nine different TCU players have made multiple 3-pointers.
- TCU ranks second in the Big 12 and 21st in the NCAA in field goal shooting (51.5%) and second in the Big 12 and 49th in the NCAA in 3-point shooting (40.2%).
- Over half of TCU's field goals (186) were assisted (119), a percentage of 64. The Frogs rank second in the Big 12 and 10th in the NCAA in assists per game (19.8).