Dec. 1, 2017
Dec. 2, 2017 | 7 PM | Fort Worth, Texas. | Schollmaier Arena (6,700)
#23 TCU Horned Frogs
FORT WORTH, Texas -- No. 23 TCU (7-0) will look to continue the nation's longest winning streak when it hosts Yale (5-4) Saturday at 7 p.m.
The game at Schollmaier Arena will be televised on FOX Sports Southwest and can be heard on 88.7 KTCU FM as well as FrogVision and the TuneIn app.
The Horned Frogs are looking for their 12th consecutive win dating back to last season when they won five-straight games on the way to the NIT championship.
- TCU will try for its 13th consecutive win when it hosts Yale Saturday at 7 p.m.
- TCU has won 12-straight games, the longest streak in the nation, dating back to last season. Its last loss was March 10, 2017 against Iowa State in the semifinals of the Big 12 Championships. TCU has also won 14 of its last 16 games.
- TCU is one of 17 unbeaten teams in the nation.
- TCU is in the midst of playing six straight opponents that were picked towards the top of their conference in St. Bonaventure (2nd, A10), Belmont (1st, OVC), Yale (2nd, Ivy), SMU (4th, AAC), Nevada (1st, MWC), Texas Southern (1st, SWAC).
- TCU is ranked No. 23 in the AP Top 25, its first ranking in the poll since 2014. TCU was last ranked this high on Jan. 11, 1999 at No. 21. The Frogs have received votes in every poll this season.
- TCU is one of six NCAA DI schools ranked in the Top 25 in football and men's basketball joining Alabama, Miami, Michigan State, Notre Dame, USC.
- TCU is 39-16 all-time as a ranked team, including a 18-2 record at home.
- TCU has started the season 7-0 for the third time in the last four seasons. The Frogs started 13-0 in 2014 and 8-0 in 2016.
- TCU ranks among the national leaders in assists, field goal percentage and rebound margin.
- After averaging 7.1 points as a freshman last season, Desmond Bane is averaging 13.6 points as a sophomore.
- TCU ranks fifth in the nation and second in the Big 12 with 19.9 assists per game.
- Kenrich Williams has recorded three-straight double-doubles and is averaging 12.4 points and 10.1 rebounds.
- Vladimir Brodziansky ranks 10th in the Big 12 in scoring at 15.7 points per game.
- Brodziansky ranks fifth in blocked shots with 128. He is 45 blocks away from James Penny's school-record of 171 (1995-98).
- TCU returned its top six scorers from last season's team that went 24-15, finished tied for seventh in the Big 12 and won the NIT, including all five starters. It's the first time Jamie Dixon has had a team with every starter returning from the year before.
- TCU returned 79 percent of its scoring and 79 percent of its rebounding from last season.
- One season after winning its first postseason tournament, TCU will try to make the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 1998. Since 1985, 58 percent of the teams that won the NIT made the NCAA Tournament the following season.
About the Opponent
- Yale has won four of its last five games including an 84-67 win over Bryant last time out on Wednesday.
- The Bulldogs have won two Ivy League championships in the past three years (2015, 2016). They were picked to finish second this season.
- Yale made the NCAA Tournament in 2016 and defeated Baylor in the first round, 79-75, before falling to Duke, 71-64.
- The Bulldogs are without Makai Mason, the 2016 Ivy League Player of the Year, who suffered a right foot injury prior to the season. They are led in scoring by sophomore guard Miye Oni, who is averaging 15.6 points per game.
About The Series
- It is the first meeting between TCU and Yale.
- TCU is 2-4 all-time against current members of the Ivy League.
Feels Like The First Time
Yale is the sixth team TCU will play this season for the first time in program history. Other opponents faced for the first time were Tennessee Tech, South Dakota, Omaha, St. Bonaventure and Belmont.
Since Jamie Dixon became the head coach at TCU, the Frogs have won three of the past four tournaments it's played in. TCU won the Global Sports Classic in Las Vegas with wins over UNLV and Washington (Nov. 25-26, 2016). TCU won the NIT with wins over Fresno State, Iowa, Richmond, UCF and Georgia Tech (March 15-30, 2017). The Frogs most recently won the Emerald Coast Classic in Niceville, Fla. with wins over New Mexico and St. Bonaventure (Nov. 24-25, 2017). The only tournament TCU did not win under Dixon was the 2017 Big 12 Championship where the Frogs fell to Iowa State in the semifinals after wins over Oklahoma and No. 1 Kansas.
Top 25 Ranking
TCU has earned an AP Top 25 ranking for the first time in three years, coming in at No. 23 on Nov. 27. The Horned Frogs were last ranked on Dec. 22, 2014, coming in at No. 25 after sporting an 11-0 record at the time. The No. 23 ranking is TCU's highest since Jan. 11, 1999 when the Frogs were ranked No. 21. TCU earned 133 points and joined four Big 12 Conference teams, No. 2 Kansas, No. 16 Baylor, No. 19 West Virginia and No. 22 Texas Tech, in this week's rankings. Texas and Oklahoma received votes as seven of the 10 Big 12 teams earned recognition in the poll.
As a ranked team, TCU is 39-16 all-time, including 18-2 at home.
Nation's longest win streak
TCU boasts the nation's longest win streak, having won 12-straight games dating back to last season. The Frogs' last lost came on March 10, 2017, against Iowa State in the semifinals of the Big 12 Championship. As of Saturday, that last loss was 268 days ago.
- TCU's streak of 12 games is the third-longest in school history. TCU won the first 13 games of the 2014-15 season and won 14 straight during the 1987-88 season, Jamie Dixon's season year. The school record for consecutive games won is 16 set during the 1997-98 season.
- During the 12 game streak, Kenrich Williams has produced nine double-doubles and is averaging 13.8 points and 10.9 rebounds per game.
One of the newest KenPom stats is minutes continuity. What percentage of a team's minutes are played by the same player from last season to this season. TCU ranks 26th in continuity, the best in the Big 12, at 70.1 percent. The national average tends to be 50 percent.
All About Shooting
- Desmond Bane ranks No. 1 in field goal efficiency (88.3%) and No. 2 in true shooting percentage (86.2%) according to KenPom.com.
- Bane ranks second in the Big 12 in field goal shooting (72.3%) and second in the Big 12 in 3-point shooting, 15-of-24 (62.5).
- Nine different TCU players have made multiple 3-pointers.
- TCU ranks second in the Big 12 and 18th in the NCAA in field goal shooting (51.4%) and second in the Big 12 and 39th in the NCAA in 3-point shooting (41.1%).
- Over 60 percent of TCU's field goals (218) were assisted (139), a percentage of 63.8. The Frogs rank second in the Big 12 and 5th in the NCAA in assists per game (19.9).