Dec. 17, 2017
Dec. 18, 2017 | 8 PM | Fort Worth, Texas | Schollmaier Arena (6,800)
#14 TCU Horned Frogs
Texas Southern Tigers
FORT WORTH, Texas -- No. 14 TCU (10-0) will look to continue the nation's longest winning streak when it faces Texas Southern (0-11) Monday at 8 p.m. at Schollmaier Arena
The game will air on FOX Sports Southwest Plus and can be heard on 88.7 KTCU FM as well as FrogVision and the TuneIn app.
The Horned Frogs have won 15-straight games dating back to last season when they won their last five contests on their way to the NIT championship.
- At halftime, TCU will honor Fort Worth coaching legend and 2017 Naismith Hall of Famer Robert Hughes.
- TCU has won 15-straight games, the longest streak in the nation, dating back to last season. Its last loss was March 10, 2017 against Iowa State in the semifinals of the Big 12 Championships. TCU has also won 17 of its last 19 games.
- The Frogs are coming off an 84-80 win over Nevada in the Basketball Hall of Fame Classic in Los Angeles.
- TCU is one of four unbeaten teams in NCAA DI.
- Texas Southern will be TCU's sixth straight opponent that was picked towards the top of its conference. St. Bonaventure (2nd, A10), Belmont (1st, OVC), Yale (2nd, Ivy), SMU (4th, AAC), Nevada (1st, MWC) and Texas Southern (1st, SWAC).
- TCU is ranked No. 14 in the AP Top 25, its highest ranking since the 1997-98 season. TCU is No. 14 in the USA Today Poll.
- TCU is 25-2 against non-conference opponents under head coach Jamie Dixon. The losses are Auburn and at SMU.
- TCU is 42-16 all-time as a ranked team, including a 20-2 record at home.
- TCU's 10-0 start to the season is its best since starting the 2014-15 season 13-0.
- TCU ranks among the national leaders in field goal percentage (2nd, 53.1), assists (7th, 19.2), 3-point percentage (7th, 43.1) and scoring (17th, 87.3).
- After averaging 7.1 points as a freshman last season, Desmond Bane is averaging 13.2 points as a sophomore.
- Bane has scored in double-figures every game and has been one of the best shooters in the country.
- Kenrich Williams has recorded six double-doubles and is averaging 14.2 points and a Big 12 best 10.1 rebounds.
- Vladimir Brodziansky ranks fourth in the Big 12 in field goal percentage at 65.8.
- Brodziansky ranks fourth all-time at TCU in blocked shots with 134. He is 32 away from third and 37 away from the school-record of 171.
- VCU transfer, Ahmed Hamdy has been efficient over the last three games, having made 12 of his last 15 field goal attempts.
- TCU returned its top six scorers from last season's team that went 24-15, finished tied for seventh in the Big 12 and won the NIT, including all five starters. It's the first time Jamie Dixon has had a team with every starter returning from the year before.
- TCU returned 79 percent of its scoring and 79 percent of its rebounding from last season.
- One season after winning its first postseason tournament, TCU will try to make the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 1998. Since 1985, 58 percent of the teams that won the NIT made the NCAA Tournament the following season.
About the Opponent
- Texas Southern is opening the season with 13-straight road games before conference play begins Jan. 1 vs. Southern.
- Under Mike Davis, the Tigers have won the SWAC in four of five years, including last season when they finished 23-12.
- Texas Southern is led by sophomore guard Demontrae Jefferson with a team-best 22.8 points and 3.4 assists per game.
- The Tigers have played two Big 12 opponents already this season. TSU lost at Kansas, 114-71, and at Baylor, 99-68.
About The Series
- TCU leads the all-time series with Texas Southern 3-1.
- TCU won last season's meeting, 96-59, exactly a year from Monday on Dec. 18, 2016.
Honoring Robert Hughes
Robert Hughes was a three-time all-SWAC guard at Texas Southern from 1951-54 before becoming a coaching icon. Hughes finished his coaching career as the all-time winningest boys' basketball coach in the United States. He amassed 1,333 games at Dunbar and Terrell in a 47-year career. Hughes was enshrined into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame in September. Expected to be in attendance are former TCU players Anthony Burks and Darrell Browder, the school's all-time leading scorer.
Solid Week for Kenrich
In TCU's last week of competition, Kenrich Williams averaged 21.5 points and 10.0 rebounds and shot 72.2 percent from the field and 87.5 percent (7-8) from 3-point range in wins over SMU and Nevada. The senior scored a career-high 27 points and added nine rebounds and five assists, while playing in all 40 minutes in a 94-83 win over SMU on Dec. 5. Williams was 5-of-6 from 3-point range, a career high for makes. On Dec. 8, he recorded a double-double with 16 points and 11 rebounds in an 84-80 win over No. 22 ranked Nevada in Los Angeles at the Basketball Hall of Fame Classic.
Top 25 Ranking
TCU is ranked in the AP Top 25 Poll this season for the first time in three years. The Frogs debuted at No. 23 on Nov. 27. Prior to this season, TCU was last ranked on Dec. 22, 2014, coming in at No. 25 after sporting an 11-0 record at the time. Now at No. 14, it is TCU's highest since Feb. 23, 1998 when the Frogs were ranked 13th, the highest in school history.
- As a ranked team, TCU is 41-16 all-time, including 19-2 at home.
- With wins over Belmont, Nevada, SMU and Yale. TCU defeated four-straight opponents as a ranked team for the first time since the 1997-98 season when it won five straight from Feb. 19,1998 to March 5, 1998.
- TCU has been ranked in the AP Top 25 for three consecutive weeks. The school record for consecutive weeks in the poll is seven, which occurred during the 1958-59 season.
- When No. 20 TCU faced No. 22 Nevada in Los Angeles, it was the first time TCU faced a ranked team, while also ranked since March 6, 1998 when No. 20 New Mexico defeated No. 15 TCU 80-73 in the second round of the WAC Tournament in Las Vegas, Nev.
- TCU is one of five NCAA DI schools ranked in the Top 25 in football and men's basketball joining Miami, Michigan State, Notre Dame and USC.
Shooting and Scoring
- TCU ranks first in the Big 12 and second in the NCAA in field goal shooting (53.1%) and first in the Big 12 and seventh in the NCAA in 3-point shooting (43.1%).
- Over 60 percent of TCU's field goals (312) were assisted (192), a percentage of 61.5. The Frogs rank second in the Big 12 and seventh in the NCAA in assists per game (19.2).
- TCU's offensive efficiency ranks 12th at 116.7 according to KenPom.com.
- Perhaps TCU's efficiency from its No. 5 position has been the most impressive. Starter Vladimir Brodziansky and backup Ahmed Hamdy have combined to shoot 64.7 from the field. For two-point field goals only, the duo is a combined 69.8 percent.
- TCU defeated Yale 92-66 and SMU 94-83. It was the first time TCU had scored 90 points in consecutive games since the 2015-16 season. That season, TCU beat Southeastern Louisiana 90-77 on Nov. 13 and Houston Baptist 90-63 on Nov. 19 to open the season.
- Desmond Bane ranks No. 1 nationally in true shooting percentage (80.1%) and field goal efficiency (80.3%) according to KenPom.com.
- TCU has three among the top 15 in shooting percentage in the Big 12... 4. Vladimir Brodziansky - 65.8, 5. Desmond Bane - 63.4. 14. Kenrich Williams - 53.6, 14th.
- TCU has five among the top 15 in 3-point field goal percentage in the Big 12 including the top three... 1. Desmond Bane - 55.8, 2. Kenrich Williams - 48.4, T3. Kouat Noi - 48.1, 11. Vladimir Brodziansky - 43.5, 15. Jaylen Fisher - 41.7.
- Five TCU players are averaging at least one made 3-pointer per game.
Nation's Longest Win Streak
TCU boasts the nation's longest win streak, having won 15-straight games dating back to last season. The Frogs' last lost came on March 10, 2017, against Iowa State in the semifinals of the Big 12 Championship. As of Monday, that last loss was 283 days ago.
- TCU's streak of 15 games is the second-longest in school history. The school record for consecutive games won is 16 set during the 1997-98 season.
- TCU's 10-straight wins this season are its most to start a season since the first 13 games of the 2014-15 season before finishing 18-15.
- TCU won 14 straight during the 1987-88 season, Jamie Dixon's senior season as a player.
- During the 15-game streak, Kenrich Williams has produced 11 double-doubles and is averaging 14.7 points and 10.7 rebounds per game.
Bane - "Most Exciting Players"
On Dec. 13, ESPN's Myron Medcalf named Desmond Bane one of his nine Most Exciting Players in the nation. Medcalf mentioned Bane's shooting accuracy including his 3-point range: "And he is shooting some of them from Waco, Dallas and Lubbock. If you're into hot hands, check out Bane, who is one of America's top marksmen right now."
As of Sunday, TCU is one of four undefeated teams in NCAA DI. The Frogs are joined by Arizona State, Miami, Villanova.