Horned Frogs Dominate SMU, 38-10

The Frogs have beaten the Mustangs in three straight contests.

The Frogs have beaten the Mustangs in three straight contests.

Sept 8, 2001


AP Sports Writer

DALLAS - Charlie Owens returned a fumble 36 yards for a touchdown and took an interception 20 yards to the 1, and LaMarcus McDonald recovered a fumble in the end zone as TCU beat SMU 38-10 Saturday night.

This was the second straight year the Horned Frogs (2-1) humiliated their longtime rival on the Mustangs' own turf. SMU (0-2) lost 62-7 to TCU in last year's finale.

This game was tied at 3 until the Frogs scored five touchdowns in an 11:03 span beginning late in the second quarter. It was similar to last season, when TCU led 3-0 until scoring four touchdowns in the final 8:33 of the second quarter.

SMU's lone touchdown came with 2:21, on a 2-yard pass from David Page to Chris Cunningham. It was the Mustangs' first offensive touchdown of the season and it came after they allowed four touchdowns by opposing defenses - two by TCU and two by Louisiana Tech in its 36-6 victory last week.

The Frogs have beaten the Mustangs three straight years for the first time since 1989-91, a streak that began when SMU restarted football after the death penalty. Before that, TCU's best stretch was a four-year winning streak from 1962-65.

This was the 82nd meeting of the major schools from Dallas and Fort Worth, and the first time since 1922 that they're not conference rivals. Both were in the Southwest Conference from the time TCU joined in 1923 until the league folded in 1995, then in the WAC until TCU joined Conference USA this season.

The Frogs drove into SMU territory on their first five possessions yet didn't score until their sixth try when Ricky Madison's 7-yard run made it 10-3 with 4:11 left in the first half.

Two plays later, Mustangs tight end John Hampton was stripped of the ball and Owens ran it in untouched to put TCU up 17-3 at halftime.



On the second play of the third quarter, SMU quarterback Kelan Luker fumbled and the ball rolled about 15 yards, bouncing off the hands of several Horned Frogs until McDonald controlled it in the end zone. LaTarence Dunbar scored on a 3-yard run on TCU's next possession.

Luker's final pass was intercepted by Owens and taken to the 1. Andrew Hayes-Stoker scored on the next play, capping the five-TD outburst and thrilling the TCU fans that made up nearly half of the 24,122 fans at SMU's Gerald J. Ford Stadium.

How lost are the Mustangs? Well, on their first 12 possessions, they had three turnovers (all leading to touchdowns), went three-and-out six times, four-and-out once, kicked a field goal and ran out the clock for halftime.

SMU has struggled every September since Mike Cavan took over five years ago, going 2-17 in the opening month.

The Mustangs' lead in the overall series against TCU is down to 38-37-7. The schools have agreed to continue meeting for at least three more years.

    Cook Children's Albertsons
    Pepsi American Airlines