Oct. 4, 2009
Final Stats |
No. 10 TCU 39, SMU 14
- In its annual State Farm DFW Duel - Battle for the Iron Skillet, TCU defeated SMU for the ninth time in the last 10 meetings. The Horned Frogs have won seven in a row against the Mustangs in Fort Worth.
- TCU extended its winning streak to six in a row, tied for the nation's fifth-longest current streak.
- Dating back to 1999, the Frogs improved to 52-6 in their last 58 home games.
- TCU improved to 55-1 when allowing 17 points or less under head coach Gary Patterson.
- The Frogs won for the 34th time in their last 36 games when holding the edge in time of possession.
- TCU improved to 39-4 in Saturday games since the start of the 2005 campaign.
- Senior cornerback Nick Sanders (injury) did not start for the first time in his career, snapping his streak of 42 consecutive starts. Jason Teague received his first collegiate start in place of Sanders, who did not play.
- Offensive tackle Marshall Newhouse's streak of 29 consecutive starts came to an end.
- TCU consensus All-America defensive end Jerry Hughes had eight tackles, including two for loss with 1 1/2 sacks.
- Antoine Hicks' 2-yard second-quarter scoring run and 28-yard fourth-quarter touchdown catch marked his third straight game with a touchdown. He had a 4-yard scoring run versus Texas State and a 25-yard touchdown catch at Clemson.
- Jeremy Kerley's 71-yard second-quarter punt return for a touchdown was TCU's first punt return for a score since Terran Williams went 70 yards on Sept. 2, 2002 at Cincinnati. TCU's 89 games between punt returns for a touchdown had been the seventh-longest current stretch in the nation.
- Kerley's 123 punt return yards ranked third on TCU's single-game list, trailing only Lindy Berry (146, vs. Miami, 1947) and LaVar Veale (143, vs. Nevada, 2000). Kerley averaged 30.8 yards on four returns in addition to a 52-yard kickoff return.
- True freshman Matthew Tucker scored on an 11-yard third-quarter run for his second career touchdown.
- Safety Colin Jones recorded his first career interception in the third quarter.
- Linebacker Daryl Washington posted his second career pick.
- TCU improved to 13-0 when Joseph Turner rushes for at least 56 yards. He had 79 yards on 19 carries.
- Turner's 1-yard third-quarter scoring run was his fifth rushing touchdown of the season and his 23rd career touchdown, most among active TCU players.
- Safety Alex Ibiloye had a team-high and career-best nine tackles. It was his second-straight game with a career-high in stops.
- Luke Shivers' 1-yard fourth-quarter touchdown reception gave him three career touchdowns on just four touches. He has 3-yard scoring runs on his only two career rushes. He now has two career receptions.