#23 West Virginia
October 7, 2017 | 2:30 p.m. CT | Fort Worth, Texas | Amon G. Carter Stadium
ABOUT THE GAME
* Following an open date, No. 8 TCU returns to action when it hosts No. 23 West Virginia Saturday at 2:30 p.m.
* TCU has opened 4-0 for the seventh time in the last 10 seasons and eighth time overall under head coach Gary Patterson.
* ESPN's College GameDay will be at TCU. The Horned Frogs are 5-0 over the last nine seasons and all-time when GameDay has been present. TCU is hosting GameDay for the second time (2009, Utah). TCU's last GameDay contest was at West Virginia in 2014, a 31-30 Horned Frogs' victory.
* Patterson is 22-19 against ranked opponents, including an 8-5 mark over the last four seasons.
* Patterson is 3-2 as a head coach versus West Virginia.
* The Horned Frogs have won 12 of their last 15 regular-season games after an open date.
* TCU and West Virginia are facing each other for the seventh time. The series is tied 3-3.
* After TCU and West Virginia began Big 12 play together in 2012, the road team won the first three meetings with each game decided on the final play. 4The Horned Frogs won 40-10 in 2015 in the last meeting in Fort Worth.
* TCU is 1-1 versus the Mountaineers in Fort Worth, 2-1 in Morgantown and 0-1 at neutral sites (1984 Bluebonnet Bowl in Houston).
* Prior to 2012, the only previous meeting between TCU and West Virginia was a 31-14 Mountaineers' win in the 1984 Bluebonnet Bowl at the Astrodome.
* The first three Big 12 meetings (2012-14) between TCU and West Virginia were decided on the game's final play, including two in overtime.
* TCU won the 2014 contest in Morgantown, 31-30, on a Jaden Oberkrom 37-yard field goal as time expired.
* West Virginia won 30-27 in overtime in Fort Worth in 2013.
* In TCU's first-ever visit to Morgantown in 2012, the Horned Frogs took a 39-38 double-OT victory.
* TCU co-offensive coordinator Sonny Cumbie has ties with West Virginia head coach Dana Holgorsen.
* Holgorsen was Texas Tech's inside receivers coach when Cumbie was a quarterback for the Red Raiders (2000-04). During that same period, TCU offensive analyst consultant Sonny Dykes was Tech's outside receivers coach.
* When TCU quarterback Kenny Hill was at Texas A&M (2013-14), his position coach was current West Virginia offensive coordinator Jake Spavital.
DEFENDING THEIR HOME
* TCU is 2-0 in 2017 and 78-19 in 17 seasons under Gary Patterson at Amon G. Carter Stadium.
* Over the last four seasons, TCU has the Big 12's second-best overall record (33-10) and conference mark (20-8).
* TCU has a 27-2 record in the three seasons it came off a non-winning record in the 17-year tenure of head coach Gary Patterson. The Horned Frogs were 11-1 and Mountain West champions in 2005 after a 5-6 campaign in 2004. TCU went 12-1 with Big 12 and Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl championships in 2014 following a 4-8 season in 2013. TCU is 4-0 this season after last year's 6-7 campaign.
* The Horned Frogs were not ranked in the preseason Associated Press or Amway USA Today Coaches polls for the first time since 2014, when they went on to post a 12-1 record while winning a Big 12 championship and defeating Ole Miss 42-3 in the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl.
* TCU has 21 scholarship seniors after having just eight last season. The Horned Frogs have 32 total seniors compared to just 13 a year ago.
* Beginning his 17th season, Patterson is the nation's second-longest tenured head coach. He trails only Iowa's Kirk Ferentz (19th year).
* Patterson's 153 wins rank second nationally behind Kansas State's Bill Snyder (205) for most victories by a head coach at his current school.
* Quarterback Kenny Hill's 72.6 completion percentage (85-of-117) ranks sixth in the nation and is on pace to set a TCU season record. He is also 18th in the country in passing efficiency (162.2).
* Darius Anderson has led TCU in rushing in each game this season, including a career-high 160 yards and three touchdowns at Oklahoma State. He has a team-best 422 yards on the season.
* TCU leads the nation in third-down conversion percentage at 63.2 (36-of-57).