ABOUT THE GAME
* No. 6 TCU returns to the road when it travels to Kansas State for a Saturday 11 a.m. contest.
* TCU has opened 5-0 for the fifth time in the last 15 seasons under head coach Gary Patterson.
* With wins over Arkansas, Oklahoma State and West Virginia, TCU is 3-0 this year against teams it lost to last year. The Horned Frogs were defeated by Kansas State in last year's regular-season finale.
* Patterson is a 1983 graduate of Kansas State and a former safety and linebacker for the Wildcats.
* Saturday features the two winningest coaches at their respective schools in Patterson (154) and Kansas State's Bill Snyder (205). Patterson and Snyder are the only two active head coaches nationally with 154 wins at their current schools.
* Patterson is facing his alma mater for the sixth time as a head coach. He is 2-3 with all five meetings taking place since TCU began Big 12 play in 2012.
TIES TO THE SUNFLOWER STATE
* TCU head coach Gary Patterson was born in Larned, Kan., and is a native of Rozel, Kan.
* Patterson went to Pawnee Heights High School and then Dodge City Community College, before heading to Kansas State.
* TCU's 41-14 record (.745) in road and neutral-site games since 2009 is the nation's second-best mark.
* At 35-10 (.778), TCU has the nation's third-best road record since 2009.
* TCU is 15-9 on the road in its Big 12 history.
* Six of TCU's last 13 Big 12 road games have been decided by seven points or less. The Horned Frogs are 5-1 in those games. Since beginning Big 12 play in 2012, TCU is 8-4 in conference road games decided by seven points or less.
* Among Power Five teams since 2009, TCU has the fourth-best record (27-9, .750) in road conference games.
* TCU is tied for sixth nationally with eight road wins over Associated Press Top-25 teams since 2009.
* TCU and Kansas State are playing for just the 11th time in their history with the series tied 5-5.
* Kansas State's victory last season snapped TCU's two-game winning streak in the series. TCU won 41-20 in Fort Worth in 2014 and 52-45 in its last visit to Manhattan in 2015.
* The 2015 contest saw the Horned Frogs rally from a 35-17 halftime deficit, equaling the largest come-from-behind win (18 points) in Gary Patterson's 17 seasons as head coach.
* TCU is 2-3 against Kansas State in Manhattan and 3-2 in Fort Worth.
* Prior to TCU beginning Big 12 play in 2012, the schools had not met on the gridiron since 1986.
* The first game in the series was a 45-0 K-State victory in Manhattan in 1922.
* After that initital game, the schools did not play again until meeting in four consecutive seasons from 1983-86.
* TCU has a 28-2 record in the three seasons it came off a non-winning record in the 17-year tenure of head coach Gary Patterson. The Horned Frogs were 11-1 and Mountain West champions in 2005 after a 5-6 campaign in 2004. TCU went 12-1 with Big 12 and Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl championships in 2014 following a 4-8 season in 2013. TCU is 5-0 this season after last year's 6-7 campaign.
* TCU's 34-10 overall record over the last four seasons is tied for the best mark in the Big 12. Its 21-8 record in conference play is second.
* The Horned Frogs were not ranked in the preseason Associated Press or Amway USA Today Coaches polls for the first time since 2014, when they went on to post a 12-1 record while winning a Big 12 championship and defeating Ole Miss 42-3 in the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl.
* TCU has 21 scholarship seniors after having just eight last season. The Horned Frogs have 32 total seniors compared to just 13 a year ago.
* Beginning his 17th season, Patterson is the nation's second-longest tenured head coach. He trails only Iowa's Kirk Ferentz (19th year).
* TCU's 31-24 win over West Virginia moved Patterson 100 games over .500 (154-54) in his Horned Frogs' tenure.
* Quarterback Kenny Hill's 69.0 completion percentage (100-of-145) ranks 10th in the nation and is on pace to set a TCU season record. He is also 21st in the country in passing efficiency (154.4).
* TCU leads the nation in third-down conversion percentage at 58.3 (42-of-72).