ABOUT THE GAME
* TCU will look to get bowl eligible with a Friday 2:30 p.m. game at Texas.
* The Horned Frogs are seeking their 14th bowl appearance in 16 years under head coach Gary Patterson.
* Saturday marks the 201st game for Patterson as head coach of the Horned Frogs, tying him with Dutch Meyer (1934-52) for the most in TCU history. Patterson is 148-52 (.740) in 16 seasons. He surpassed Meyer (109) in 2012 as TCU’s all-time winningest coach. Meyer led the Horned Frogs to national championships in 1935 and 1938.
* Over the last three seasons, TCU has the Big 12’s best overall record (28-8) and second-best conference mark (18-7).
* The trip to Austin is one of 10 games inside the state of Texas for TCU this season.
* TCU is 34-12 in regular-season games following a loss under Patterson.
* TCU is 10-6 in short-week games under Patterson.
* Patterson is 3-2 as a head coach versus Texas.
* Both teams’ starting quarterbacks are sons of former Major League Baseball players. Ken Hill, father of TCU’s Kenny Hill, pitched 14 seasons (1988-01) in the big leagues. Steve Buechele, father of Texas’ Shane Buechele, had an 11-year career (1985-95) as a third baseman. Ken Hill and Steve Buechele missed by one season of being teammates with the Texas Rangers.
* Since beginning Big 12 in 2012, TCU is 3-1 against Texas with a 2-0 mark in Austin. Both previous games at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium were played on Thanksgiving with TCU winning 20-13 in 2012 and 48-10 in 2014.
* Last year’s 50-7 win gave TCU victories in back-to-back seasons over Texas for the first time since 1958-59. The Horned Frogs are looking for a third straight win over the Longhorns for the first time since four straight victories from 1935-38. TCU’s national championships (1935, 1938) were at the front and back ends of that stretch.
* Friday marks the 87th meeting between TCU and Texas. The Longhorns hold a 62-23-1 advantage in a series that began with an 18-10 Texas win in 1897.
* TCU is 13-34-1 versus Texas in Austin and 10-28 in Fort Worth.
* Texas is TCU’s fourth-most played series. The Horned Frogs’ 86 games with the Longhorns trail only Baylor (112), SMU (96) and Texas A&M (92).
* The Horned Frogs are 3-1 on the road this season.
* TCU is 13-9 on the road in its Big 12 history.
* Since 2009, TCU has the nation’s fifth-best road record (32-10, .762).
* Six of TCU’s last 11 Big 12 road games have been decided by seven points or less. The Horned Frogs are 5-1 in those games. Overall, TCU is 8-4 in Big 12 road games decided by seven points or less.
* One of the more memorable wins in TCU history was a 6-0 victory at No. 1 Texas on Nov. 8, 1961.
* The lone score in the game was a second-quarter touchdown pass from Sonny Gibbs to Buddy Iles.
* The Horned Frogs have just eight scholarship seniors on this year’s team.
* TCU has at least one sack in a school-record 40 consecutive games, the nation’s second-longest active streak (Clemson, 41) and third all-time in Big 12 history.
* TCU leads the Big 12 and is third nationally with its average of 3.60 sacks per game (Florida State, 3.73; Alabama, 3.64).
* Safety Nick Orr, who has started every game the last two seasons, is the son of former Texas running back Terry Orr (1980-84).
* Linebacker Travin Howard leads the Big 12 and is fifth nationally with his average of 10.8 tackles per game. With 108 stops, he is the first Horned Frog with consecutive seasons of 100 tackles since Martin Patterson (2003-04).
* Running back Kyle Hicks tops TCU in rushing (836) and is second in receptions (35). He is one of only seven players nationally over 800 yards rushing and 350 receiving (363).
* Wide receiver/return specialist KaVontae Turpin averages 15.1 yards each time he touches the ball. He set a Big 12 freshman record last season with four touchdown catches against Texas.
* Safety Caylin Moore is a Rhodes Scholarship recipient and will study next fall at Oxford University.