TCU Men's Tennis Wins Exhibition With Sterling, 8-1
Jan. 20, 2004
FORT WORTH, Texas
The No. 18 TCU men's tennis team posted an 8-1 victory against the University of Sterling from Scotland Tuesday afternoon in exhibition action. The Horned Frogs swept four doubles contests and then claimed seven of eight in singles. All but one of the Frogs' singles conquests came in straight set fashion. Sterling's lone victory was at No. 8 singles, where Stephen Wright defeated Collin Hart in three sets, 6-2, 2-6, (10-5).
The most exciting match of the day came at the No. 7 hole, where TCU redshirt freshman Craig Stopa fought off four match points to win. After splitting the first two sets, Stopa and Billy McNeil went into a tiebreaker in the third and Stopa found himself trailing, 6-3. With his back against the wall, Stopa continued to employ his serve and volley strategy and with some great touch was able to win five straight points to take the match. Stopa also saved a match point earlier in the set.
TCU's other winners in singles included No. 44 Alex Menichini, No. 75 Fabrizio Sestini, Jacopo Tezza, Rafael Abreu, Jacob Martin and Andrew Ulrich. In doubles, the Frogs used the combinations at Nos. 1-4 of Abreu/Sestini, Martin/Tezza, Menichini/Ulrich and Hart/Stopa. Abreu and Sestini are currently ranked No. 19 in the nation.
TCU will kick off the regular season at home against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi this Saturday, Jan. 24, on the Bernard J. "Tut" Bartzen Varsity Tennis Courts at the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center. Match time is scheduled for noon.
#18 TCU 8, University of Sterling 1
1. #44 Alex Menichini (TCU) def. Colin Fleming (US) 6-0, 6-3
2. #75 Fabrizio Sestini (TCU) def. Mattew Lott (US) 6-4, 6-2
3. Jacopo Tezza (TCU) def. Alex Halsey (US) 6-0, 6-1
4. Rafael Abreu (TCU) def. Jamie Collett (US) 6-0, 6-1
5. Jacob Martin (TCU) def. Gery Thomson (US) 6-3, 6-2
6. Andrew Ulrich (TCU) def. Alistair Cernile (US) 6-3, 6-1
7. Craig Stopa (TCU) def. Billy McNeil (US) 4-6, 6-1, 7-6(6)
8. Stephen Wright (US) def. Collin Hart (TCU) 6-2, 2-6, (10-5)