Jan. 28, 2018
Final Stats |
FORT WORTH, Texas – The No. 10 TCU men’s tennis team bounced back from its first loss of the season by scoring a 4-0 victory over Louisville on Sunday afternoon to conclude the ITA Kick-Off Weekend at the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center in Fort Worth.
The Horned Frogs (3-1) took control of doubles from the very beginning with Reese Stalder and Bertus Kruger staying undefeated on the season at 4-0 with a 6-4 win on court two. Alex Rybakov and Guillermo Nuñez clinched the doubles point on court one as they downed the No. 6 pair of Christopher Morin-Kougoucheff and Parker Wynn, 6-4, as TCU went up 1-0 on the Cardinals (3-2).
TCU won the opening set on five of the six courts as they finished off the match in quick succession. Stalder was first off the court with a 6-0, 7-6 (4) win on court four with Kruger following with a 6-1, 6-4 win on court five. Nuñez provided the final point for the overall team victory as he scored a 6-4, 6-2 win on court three.
Quotes from the Match
Head Coach David Roditi
“Our guys responded very well and we made the best of what we had today. We lost a very disappointing match yesterday and we feel we missed an opportunity to close out a match with a chance to go to Seattle. We didn’t get the job done so I was curious to see how we were going to bounce back and I thought it was a very challenging day. We had some guys who were not supposed to play and they had to step up today. We had two players step up with Max Kurzban in doubles and Eduardo Roldan in singles and they both did really well. The doubles point was huge. (Alex) Rybakov and Guillermo (Nuñez) played at a much higher level than they did the day before. It was a very costly match the day before and they came back and beat one of the better doubles teams in the nation to give us the doubles point and that turned out to be a big point. We won three singles matches quickly and I was very proud to see the guys who had struggled the day before in singles to bounce back and get two points for the Frogs today. Now we get to regroup, get a little healthier and then we have a week to get ready to go to a very tough match at North Carolina.”
Louisville vs TCU
Jan 28, 2018 at Fort Worth, Texas
(Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center)
#10 TCU 4, Louisville 0
1. #31 Alex Rybakov (TCU) vs. #75 C. Morin-Kougoucheff (LOU) 6-7 (4-7), 3-2, unfinished
2. Trevor Johnson (TCU) vs. #119 Parker Wynn (LOU) 6-4, 5-5, unfinished
3. Guillermo Nuñez (TCU) def. Nicolas Rouanet (LOU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Reese Stalder (TCU) def. Federico Gomez (LOU) 6-0, 7-6 (7-4)
5. Bertus Kruger (TCU) def. Ciro Lampasas (LOU) 6-1, 6-4
6. Eduardo Roldan (TCU) vs. George Hedley (LOU) 7-6 (7-5), 5-2, unfinished
1. Alex Rybakov/Guillermo Nuñez (TCU) def. #6 C. Morin-Kougoucheff/Parker Wynn (LOU) 6-4
2. Reese Stalder/Bertus Kruger (TCU) def. Nicolas Rouanet/Federico Gomez (LOU) 6-4
3. Trevor Johnson/Max Kurzban (TCU) vs. Brandon Lancaster/George Hedley (LOU) 4-5, unfinished
TCU 3-1; National ranking #10
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (4,5,3)
TCU will hit the road as they travel to Chapel Hill, N.C., to take on UNC on Tuesday, Feb. 6 at 5 p.m., CT.