Jan. 30, 2012
ATHENS, Ga. - The TCU men's tennis team got off to a slow start against No. 39 Nebraska Monday, dropping a 4-0 decision to the Cornhuskers inside Lindsey Hopkins Indoor Facility. The Horned Frogs had momentum in the remaining matches before Nebraska clinched the victory.
“We have to grow up fast as a program because we only have two players with Division I dual singles match experience,” TCU head coach David Roditi said. “Nick Chappell got a lot of good experience this weekend and showed that he can play with the best players from the best programs in the nation. We didn’t bounce back quick enough this morning after playing a late afternoon match.”
The match started with intense matchups in the doubles action. After the Horned Frogs’ team of junior JT Sundling and freshman Nick Chappell fell from the No. 1 court, the Cornhuskers clinched the double point with a 9-7 win over TCU’s team of senior Paul Chappell and newcomer Will Stein. The Frogs were within a game on the remaining match before it was halted after the doubles point had been clinched.
Nebraska kept the pressure on TCU in the singles portion. After the Huskers picked up a win on court No. 4 to move ahead 2-0, senior Daniel Sanchez lost a chance to pull the Frogs back in, dropping his match late at No. 3 to NU’s Andre Stenger, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4. In the end, Sundling stumbled in a second-set tiebreaker after breaking serve at 5-4, falling, 6-4, 7-6 (5).
Nick Chappell was serving to win his singles match against No. 41 Aumuelle when play was halted. The Indianapolis native stormed back after dropping his opening set to walk away from a 4-6, 6-2, 5-4 scoreboard. Paul Chappell had also mounted a comeback in his match at the fifth court, leading 3-0 in the second set against Eric Sock.
TCU will take to the road again next weekend, traveling into Southeastern Conference territory to take on Mississippi State (Feb. 3) and Alabama (Feb. 5). The Frogs will return home to the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center to host future Big 12 opponent Texas Tech on Feb. 11.
No. 39 Nebraska (1-1) def. No. 51 TCU (1-2), 4-0
Lindsey Hopkins Indoor Facility – Athens, Ga.
Jan. 30, 2012
1. Nick Chappell (TCU) vs. #41 Christopher Aumuelle (NEB), 4-6, 6-2, 5-4, unfinished
2. #78 Benedikt Lindheim (NEB) def. JT Sundling (TCU), 6-4, 7-6 (5)
3. Andre Stenger (NEB) def. Daniel Sanchez (TCU), 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
4. Robert Schulze (NEB) def. Max Stevens (TCU), 6-4, 6-0
5. Eric Sock (NEB) vs. Paul Chappell (TCU), 6-1, 0-3, unfinished
6. Facundo Lugones (TCU) vs. Tom Blackwell (NEB), 1-0, unfinished
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 2*
1. #7 Aumuelle/Lindheim (NEB) def. N. Chappell/Sundling (TCU), 8-4
2. #44 Schulze/Stenger (NEB) def. P. Chappell/Stein (TCU), 9-7
3. Gollner/Sock (NEB) vs. Stevens/Wiggins (TCU), 7-6, unfinished
Order of Finish: 1, 2*