Jan. 15, 2017
Box Score |
Box Score (PDF) | Photo Gallery
FORT WORTH, Texas -- Senior Jada Butts scored a career-high 25 points and paced an explosive second half as the TCU women's basketball team defeated Iowa State, 80-75, at Schollmaier Arena on Sunday for its first Big 12 win of the season.
TCU (9-8, 1-5) exploded for 53 points in the second half, including 29 in the third quarter, as it quickly erased a 13-point second-half deficit. The Frogs were 0-of-5 from deep in the first half, but responded with an 8-of-12 showing in the second half.
Butts' 25 points came on just 15 shots from the field as she added an 8-of-10 effort from the free throw line. Toree Thompson added 14 points, with 12 in the second half, on three 3-pointers. AJ Alix scored all 13 of her points in the second half and also added eight assists.
Bridget Carleton led Iowa State (10-7, 1-5) with 30 points, taking 27 shots to do so. She was 4-of-14 from deep as part of Iowa State's 9-of-35 from outside.
TCU used a 14-0 third-quarter run to turn a 10-point deficit into a four-point lead with under four minutes to go in the quarter. From there, TCU never led by more six points, but also never lost the lead in an entertaining fourth quarter.
After trailing by 13 early in the third quarter, TCU was down by 10 points, 44-34, with 5:48 to go in the quarter when the tide turned. Alix connected on her first 3-pointer, and under the basket Iowa State was called for a foul. Alix's basket counted, then on the ensuing possession Butts hit her only 3-pointer of the game.
That six-point spurt sparked a 14-0 run that put the Frogs up, 48-44, with 3:39 to go. In the run, Alix hit a second 3-pointer, Kianna Ray completed an old-fashion 3-point play and Butts scored a fastbreak basket.
Stat of the Game
53 -- TCU's 53 second-half points tied a season-high. The Frogs shot 60 percent (18-of-30) in the second half, including an 8-of-12 mark from long range. That came after shooting just 9-of-29 (31 percent) and 0-of-5 from deep in the first half.
- TCU's 53 second-half points tied a season high. TCU also scored 53 in its second game of the season, a win over Sam Houston State.
- TCU's 80 points were its most in a Big 12 win since an 87-73 home win over Kansas State on Jan. 2, 2016.
- TCU finished 8-of-17 from deep for 47.1 percent. The Frogs entered eighth in the NCAA at 39.5 percent as a team. TCU has made at least seven 3-pointers in all but two games this season.
- TCU has won 45 of its last 48 homes games against unranked teams. The Frogs are 17-7 all-time in Schollmaier Arena and 38-11 at home under Raegan Pebley.
- TCU won for the second time this season when trailing at halftime. The other instance was against McNeese.
- TCU moved to 6-5 all-time against Iowa State, including a 6-3 mark since joining the Big 12 Conference.
- TCU used the same starting lineup for the fourth straight game (AJ Alix, Jada Butts, Kianna Ray, Amy Okonkwo, Adeola Akomolafe). It is the seventh different starting lineup TCU has used this season.
- In her 99th career game, senior Jada Butts scored a career-high 25 points. It was the second 20-point game of her career; the other a 21-point effort against Stephen F. Austin in the first round of the 2015 WNIT.
- Butts' 25 points are the most scored by a Horned Frog this season.
- Butts has scored in double figures eight times this season and 27 times in her carer.
- AJ Alix scored 13 points, her 11th game in double figures this season and the 33rd of her career. She has scored in double figures in five of her last six games.
- Alix added eight assists, two shy of her career high. It's tied for the most by a Frog this season.
- Toree Thompson scored 14 points, her fourth double-figure scoring game this season and the third in her last five games.
- Jordan Moore tied a career-high with 11 rebounds and also finished one shy of a career-high with five blocks.
TCU makes a trip to No. 25 Kansas State on Wednesday night for a 7 p.m. contest at Bramlage Coliseum. If the Wildcats are still ranked on Wednesday, all four of TCU's road games in the Big 12 thus far will have been against ranked teams.