Jan. 19, 2017
FORT WORTH, Texas
– The TCU men’s and women’s track and field teams will head to College Station for the first meet of 2017 at the Texas A&M Aggie Invitational on Saturday. Both the running and field events at the Gilliam Indoor Track Stadium are set to start at 12 p.m.
The Horned Frogs will compete against Arizona State, Georgia, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, UTA and UTSA.
Senior Jalen Miller, who took home third in the 60 meters at the 2015 NCAA Indoor Track & Field Championships, made his return to the track after sitting out last year due to injury. Miller, competing for Ole Miss at the time, clocked in at 6.57 in the 60-meter finals in a race that gave TCU’s Ronnie Baker his first of two gold medals in the 60. Miller is currently tied for the NCAA’s ninth-fastest 60-meter time this year at 6.68.
With the return of two First-Team All-Americans in senior Raymond Bozmans and sophomore Darrion Flowers, TCU will look to keep the relays a Horned Frog tradition this year. The additions of Miller, junior transfer Emeilo Ferguson, and freshmen Jostyn Andrews and Ryan Champlin have added solid depth to an already strong sprinting squad. TCU will also look to sophomore transfers, Derrick Mokaleng and Lebogang Maloka, from South Africa to play a role on the men’s squad.
She Went The Distance
Sophomore Brenley Goertzen emerged as one of the best distance runners in the Big 12 throughout the 2016 cross country season. She earned bronze at the conference championships behind a time of 20:35.1. Goertzen then placed sixth at regionals, becoming the first Frog since 2012 to earn a bid to the NCAA Championships.
Junior Scotty Newton leads the way in jumps on the men’s side. He earned a bid to nationals for the second-consecutive season in the triple jump last year and took home silver in the triple jump at the Big 12 Indoor Championships.
Keep ‘Em Coming
TCU has crowned an NCAA champion in each of the last five years:
* 2016: Ronnie Baker (60 meters)
* 2015: Ronnie Baker (60 meters)
* 2014: Lorraine Ugen (long jump)
* 2013: Charles Silmon (100 meters), Lorraine Ugen (long jump)
* 2012: Whitney Gipson (long jump)
* Only one other school in the Big 12 has claimed gold in each year since 2013 (Texas).
Follow The Frogs
For live updates and videos throughout the meet, follow @TCUTrackField on Twitter. A recap and final results will be posted to GoFrogs.com following the conclusion of competition.