Aug. 27, 2017
GREELEY, Colo. –
A pair of second-half goals helped TCU rally for a 2-1 victory over Northern Colorado on Sunday afternoon. Emma Heckendorn’s tally with just 1:25 remaining in the contest gave the Horned Frogs the victory.
TCU carried the bulk of the play for the entirety of the match, but it was Northern Colorado that went into half time with the 1-0 lead on a goal in the 37th minute. Maddie Roberts won the battle in tight and knocked home the opening goal.
The Frogs come out with a fierce determination to get the equalizer. TCU battled hard inside the 18-yard box earning multiple corner kicks. The Frogs got off quality shots on the feeds, but couldn’t find the back of the net.
A foul on Northern Colorado proved fruitful for TCU in the 62nd minutes as Karitas Tomasdottir cleaned up the mess in the goal box to knot the game at one.
With the clock winding down in regulation, the Frogs continued to battle. Ryan Williams found an open Heckendorn. Her shot from distance was right on target as she sent it across goal to the far post for the eventual game-winner.
Emily Alvarado came up large mere seconds later with her fifth and final save of the game to lock up the victory.
Stat of the Game
85 – Emma Heckendorn scored the game-winning goal with just 85 seconds remaining in regulation.
• The last time TCU came back from a half time deficit was against Baylor in the Big 12 Championships on November 4, 2016.
• TCU outshot its opponent for the fourth straight game.
• Emma Heckendorn’s goal was her second of the season bringing her career total to 13.
• Karitas Tomasdottir tallied her second goal of the season.
• Ryan Williams tallied her fourth assist of the season and the 13th of her career.
• Williams is now tied for seventh all-time in career assists.
• Emily Alvarado picked up her first career win in goal. She collected five saves in the win.
TCU (3-1-0) returns home for a three match homestand beginning Friday night against Ball State at 7 p.m.